Chapter 32: Stargazing

It was evening, a few weeks into the summer at Privet Drive, and Harry was almost asleep when someone knocked on his window.

Harry's room was on the second floor, so he fumbled for his glasses and had the window open, saying, "Hedwig, I just let you out," before he blinked the world into focus and saw Sirius Black in his window.

Harry's mouth dropped open.

"Coming out, Harry?" Black asked, as if this was a completely normal thing to do.

"You. How?"

"Got my hands on a wand now, haven't I? Bit hush-hush, don't tell anyone that part. Simple levitation charm - but I'd suggest you use your Firebolt."

"Okay, Mister Black."

"Sirius, please. You make me sound so old."

Harry refrained from pointing out that Sirius was his dad's age, and shortly they were both on the ground in the tidy back garden of Privet Drive. It was incredibly surreal. Sirius was standing on Aunt Petunia's prize begonias.

"Let's sit by the hedge," Harry suggested, eyeing the crushed begonias warily. He knew that would be his fault in the morning, and for once it would actually be his fault.

"This is a great hedge," Sirius commented. "It'd be very cozy."

"...cozy?"

"Oh, didn't Remus tell you? I'm an animagus, too."

"Not - Grim?"

Sirius grinned whitely.

"Great name, by the way. I'm keeping it."

Harry hugged him firmly. He'd missed Grim, and felt rather guilty about not doing more for the bedraggled stray dog. After a slight pause, Sirius hugged him back.

They settled down, leaning against the hedge, looking up at the crystal-clear night sky.

"Remus said he'd mentioned me being your guardian. You know that would mean leaving this behind, once I've gotten things sorted out? If you wanted."

"Of course I want to come live with you! Do you have a house?"

Sirius laughed, startled.

"I do, actually. It's ruddy awful, what with me being in Azkaban since... well. It's filthy. Full of dark magic, too. Mad portraits, mad house elf... but it still has a roof and wards, which is something, I suppose." Sirius gave him a shy glance. "It's at number 12 Grimmauld Place, in London, if you ever need someplace to go. There's tons of rooms for you to choose from, and Kreacher will take care of food and things." Sirius waved a vague hand. "Never hurts to have a hideout, does it?"

Harry settled down more comfortably next to him, eyeing the twinkling velvety stars overhead.

"Tell me more about the hunt for Pettigrew. I - I could come with you, if it would help."

"...no, Harry, you should go to Hogwarts. I don't know how long it will take, and they might get a little shirty about me kidnapping the 'Boy Who Lived.' I hear he's been sighted on the Continent, that's why I stopped by before I had to leave the country.... Might be better if you didn't mention me visiting, either, at least until everything's sorted out. Who knew being innocent involved so much more paperwork than being guilty?"