Chapter 48: Taking sides

Harry fought his way through the maze and got his leg ripped open by a giant spider, at which point Harry was very grateful to have a spot of healing potion to glug down surreptitiously while Cedric looked at the golden cup. It made him feel a little better about what he felt was not a very strong showing at the Task.

#

Cedric died.

Harry wished he'd said proper goodbyes to his friends and his family and his teachers, just in case.

Lord Voldemort was alive.

They dueled.

Harry took Cedric home.

Harry felt very numb while confronting Moody and being interviewed by Dumbledore and Sirius.

#

"He'll be fine," said Madam Pomfrey, giving Harry some pajamas and pulling screens around him. He took off his robes, pulled on the pajamas, and got into bed. Ron, Hermione, Bill, Mrs. Weasley, and the black dog came around the screen and settled themselves in chairs on either side of him. Ron and Hermione were looking at him almost cautiously, as though scared of him.

"I'm all right," he told them. "Just tired."

Mrs. Weasley's eyes filled with tears as she smoothed his bed-covers unnecessarily.

"I need to talk to Draco," Harry said abruptly. "I have something to say to him."

Ron and Hermione exchanged anxious glances, and Ron got up and left the room.

#

Madame Pomfrey had compelled Harry to drink a Dreamless Sleep potion by the time Draco turned up. His pale face shone oddly in Harry's muzzy vision.

Harry grabbed his sleeve and tugged Draco down so he was less wavering and far away.

"You don't have to tell your father," Harry informed him. "He already knows."

Sirius growled.

"You'd better go," said Hermione.

#

"You'll forgive me, Dumbledore, but I've never heard of a curse scar acting as an alarm bell before...."

"Look, I saw Voldemort come back!" Harry shouted. He tried to get out of bed again, but Mrs. Weasley forced him back. "I saw the Death Eaters! I can give you their names!"

And he hesitated, and behind the Minister Snape shook his head, once.

Harry paused, and it gave Fudge time to say, "I've trusted you a great deal this year, Dumbledore, and what do I have to show for it? Nothing but chaos and disorder. I've had enough, do you hear?"

"It seems to me that you are all determined to start a panic that will destabilize everything we have worked for these last thirteen years!"

#

It turned out that when one was a semi-accepted escaped felon, it was quite easy for one to become a most wanted escaped felon again. All it really took was reassigning the case to a different pair of Aurors.