chapter seventeen

"Why didn't you let me go?!" I screamed at Patrick, storming into my bedroom. "Why could you have just left me alone..."

"BECAUSE YOU FUCKING MATTER TO ME!" he hissed, his teeth clenched together. "I really care about you, can't you see that?"

I laughed bitterly. "That's funny. If you really cared you wouldn't be sneaking out to hook up with Taylor!"

His eyes widened. "What?" He gasped. "Where the hell did you get that idea?!"

"From the little innocent princess herself. She told me. You can't lie to me anymore."

"Mel, she's lying! She always makes up shit!"

"Why have you been sneaking out, then?"

"I haven't?"

I narrowed my eyes at him. "Don't lie to me. I've caught you going out in the middle of the night three times this week."

He grimaced. "I think you are mistaken," he said stiffly.

"Patrick, tell me the truth."

"Melanie-"

"Patrick. Tell me the truth. Now."

He sighed, hanging his head. "Fine. I'll tell you the truth. I have been seeing Taylor, but not for the reason you'd think. She's trying to file a lawsuit against me."

I gasped. "Why would she do that?"

He shrugged, shaking his head sadly. "Just because she can. She claims I had been cheating on her with you."

I balled my hands into fists at my sides. "That bitch... First, she tries to get me to starve and kill myself, and now she's-"

"She did what?" Patrick cried, tugging at his hair, pacing the room. "She told you to kill yourself? That's why you did it?"

"Well, it led to other thoughts.... I guess what she said kind of... triggered me."

Patrick wrapped his arms around me. I remained stiff at first, but realizing he had told me everything he had been concealing, I gave in and buried my face in his chest.

"We're gonna get this figured out. I don't know why she would want to do that to you. She's a two-faced bitch. She's only jealous of you." I nodded, looking up into his eyes, a pristine emerald green, though I could have sworn a couple days ago they were a deep, addictive blue.

He pressed his soft lips against mine, brushing the loose hair out of my face that had strayed from my messy ponytail.

"You're amazing, you know that?" he whispered. "I don't want anyone to tell you any different."

"That's all I needed to hear." Just those words made an aura of calm glow in me. What else could prove the demons wrong?

"Listen," he said, guiding me to the bed. "Joe's going to be gone for a few days... He's getting an interview along with the rest of the guys. I've decided to stay here with you. I took the responsibility to make sure you don't do anything to hurt yourself."

"You should go to that interview, 'Trick. I don't want you to miss it. You're the frontman."

He shook his head, smiling. "I know. But I don't want anything happening to you again." I opened my mouth again to protest, but he placed one finger to my lips, hushing me. "I'm staying with you. No exceptions."

"Okay," I finally said, planting my lips on his. "They know about this, don't they?"

He nodded. "Joe doesn't give a fuck," he giggled, my body almost melting at the sound. I didn't know what it was about him, but just him alone was enough to make me explode with happiness inside.