Fateful Day

King Yi Kang ached all over his body, the memory of falling asleep after his youngest daughter had served him food on the anniversary of his wife's death. Was he drunk? The sound of waves seemed to drift into the room. His alcohol tolerance had improved over the years, so he shouldn't be this intoxicated. Yet, here he was, having consumed several cups and now hearing imaginary sounds.

"Good morning, Hyungnim,"

The sudden voice next to him made him jolt. He turned his head and saw the younger version of Bogum-gun preparing for the day. King Yi Kang widened his eyes and blinked several times. Bogum-gun was still there. He rubbed his eyes vigorously and, with a wide-eyed gaze, confirmed that Bogum-gun was indeed still present.

"What's wrong?" Bogum-gun asked in a perplexed manner. 

"Where are we?" Yi Kang asked urgently, a touch of panic in his voice.

"Relax, we still have two days to escort Park Gyeong-U to the capital. We're currently at Park Gyeong-U's residence," reassured Bogum-gun.

Yi Kang rose from his seat and opened the door, surveying his surroundings. He was fairly certain that he was on Manwol-do Island. Glancing at his younger brother once more, he noticed how youthful Bogum-gun appeared. He gazed at his own hand and saw it devoid of any wrinkles. He gave his face a quick slap, feeling a sting.

"Hyungnim, are you alright?" Bogum-gun inquired his expression a mix of incredulity and concern.

"I... um... yeah, I thought I was going crazy. I..." Yi Kang stammered, his disbelief palpable. He had believed it to be a dream, but every sensation felt so vivid — the warmth of the sunlight streaming in, the salty tang of seawater, and the wind slipping through cracks in the walls and windows. It was all too real to be a mere dream. This was the very day he would meet his future wife. He decided to snap himself out of it, delivering a swift slap to his own face, earning a perplexed gaze from his brother.

"Hyungnim?" Bogum-gun asked his elder sibling cautiously, his brow slightly furrowed as he scrutinized Yi Kang.

"I'm fine. Just shook off a bad dream," Seongnam Daegun stated, a wide grin now spreading across his face.

"Alright then, I'll be on my way," Bogum-gun responded, waving his hand nonchalantly before departing from the room, as though momentarily brushing off his brother's odd behavior. 

The former King Yi Kang remained seated, lost in a daze. He still found it hard to believe that the reality he was experiencing was true. Was this some sort of miracle? Could it be that the divine had taken pity on him, granting him a second chance to correct his past mistakes? Regardless of the reasons, he felt gratitude welling up within him. He would not squander this opportunity. He was determined to safeguard Yoon Cheongha with every fiber of his being.

***

"Seonbi-nim..."

Yi Kang fought to suppress his grin upon hearing his wife's voice beckoning him. He had to feign ignorance, even though it tugged at his heartstrings. It was a difficult act to pull off, yet essential. His wife, a woman he held so dearly, would undoubtedly be frightened if she realized a near stranger possessed intimate knowledge about her. A wide smile broke across his face as he felt her tender body enfold him in a tight embrace. He summoned every ounce of self-control to refrain from returning the hug.

After a few lingering moments, he reluctantly disentangled himself. The ache of longing for her was almost unbearable. If he had his way, he'd be holding her close and pressing kisses to her lips.

"What brings you here?" he inquired, drawing on his royal court experience to maintain a facade. He orchestrated his expression to withhold any giveaway.