Family Drama

Yi Kang briskly made his way to the heart of the palace, where his father presided over the royal court. Despite having dropped hints to his father regarding his brother's murder case, King Yi Hoo remained skeptical. His older brother had been well-regarded by almost all the ministers, and the only person with a motive to replace him was Minister Hwang. Consequently, when his brother met an untimely demise, his father's suspicions gravitated towards Minister Hwang.

Upon receiving permission from his father's royal eunuch, Yi Kang entered the royal courtroom.

"Abba-mama," Yi Kang greeted, bowing respectfully.

"What troubles you, Seja? I thought you were to enjoy your day outside the palace," inquired King Yi Hoo, arching an eyebrow.

"I heard you summoned Physician Kwon to the palace," Yi Kang cut to the chase. He couldn't afford to have any threats near his beloved family – his mother, and his brothers, who were blissfully unaware of the truth behind Crown Prince Taein's murder. Yi Ikhyeon could exploit them to further his sinister ambitions.

King Yi Hoo sighed. "Are you still suspicious of him?" he asked.

"Even if he's been cleared of suspicion, we can't have him serving as the royal physician. There are still risks," Yi Kang argued, willing to do anything to rid the palace of Yi Ikhyeon.

"I've heard that Physician Kwon specializes in treating rhinitis. Your grandmother's rheumatism has improved, but her rhinitis has worsened. That's why I've called him back to treat her," King Yi Hoo explained.

"And has Halma-mama consented?" Yi Kang inquired.

King Yi Hoo nodded. "Yes, actually, it was your grandmother who requested Physician Kwon's return. However, due to his involvement in treating your late brother, she was concerned that it might offend your mother and you. She asked me to intervene."

Yi Kang let out a deep sigh. What an unexpected turn of events. He held no animosity towards his uncle, but he couldn't overlook the fact that Yi Ikhyeon had drawn innocent individuals into his quest for revenge. While he could comprehend his uncle's motives for avenging those dear to him, it didn't sit well with him. There had been too much suffering, too much resentment – Yi Ikhyeon was a pitiable man seeking retribution for his loved ones. His grandmother, too, deserved his disdain. Yet, allowing her to fall into the clutches of the very man she had tormented presented him with a moral dilemma.

"I also recommend delaying the crown princess selection, considering she recently experienced a headache. What are your thoughts?" suggested King Yi Hoo.

Yi Kang snapped back to reality, his thoughts returning to the woman he had left during lunch not long ago. "No problem, Abba-mama, I'm not in a hurry," reassured Yi Kang.

A faint smile played at the corners of King Yi Hoo's lips. "Don't worry, your father will select the most beautiful candidate for you. I've heard that many within the clan are already aware of your preference for a beautiful spouse, and they are currently choosing their finest candidates," he revealed.

Yi Kang stammered in disbelief, "Wha-- Abba-mama, where did you hear such gossip?"

King Yi Hoo chuckled. "Well, I have plenty of leisure time during my holiday with your mother. We engage in conversations, and gossip often finds its way into our discussions," he explained.

"Abba-mama must be thoroughly enjoying your vacation," Yi Kang replied through gritted teeth. He was buried under mountains of paperwork and had no time to visit his beloved, yet his father seemed to have ample time to gossip about him. He had not anticipated that his casual response to deflect his grandmother's inquiries would become a major topic of discussion.