Useless Plan

"Seja, stay back," his father's voice halted Yi Kang's stride toward the royal courtroom exit. Whatever his father had in mind, he hoped it wouldn't take too long, as he had already promised to meet Cheongha later that evening. She had plans to prepare kimchi Jigae for him.

"Is there something you wish to discuss, Abba-mama?" Yi Kang inquired. This marked the twentieth royal court meeting he had attended, and judging by the pleased expression on his father's face, he was making a positive impression.

Yi Kang realized that he was growing closer to his father. Perhaps it was because he had once been a king in a previous life and could empathize with the many challenges his father faced. The throne could be a solitary place, but he was fortunate to have Cheongha as a lifelong companion, someone with whom he could openly share all the intricacies of his life without fear of appearing foolish. His father, on the other hand, lacked such a relationship with his mother, as he was preoccupied with projecting an image of wisdom and power before all, including his wife. Consequently, when Yi Kang demonstrated his understanding of his father's concerns and his grasp of the responsibilities of kingship, his father began to confide in him more. Yi Kang now recognized that his father possessed a good sense of humor.

King Yi Hoo beamed. "I'm planning to have dinner with your grandmother, and you will accompany me," he declared.

Yi Kang raised an eyebrow. "Dinner?"

"Yes, and I'm aware of your growing closeness to your grandmother," King Yi Hoo added, stretching his neck.

"Abba-mama—"

"She will play a role in choosing your future crown princess, and you can convey your preferences to her," King Yi Hoo interjected, silencing Yi Kang's objections.

"Why are you so hesitant? Do you have other plans?" King Yi Hoo asked, possibly sensing Yi Kang's reluctance.

"I had made plans to share a drink with Muan Daegun, but I'll instruct the servant to cancel it," Yi Kang explained, inwardly cursing. He had numerous plans for spending time with Cheongha, but it appeared that his expectations, based on his past life as a crown prince, did not align with the reality of the situation and the reactions of those around him.

"Indeed, you're right. It's not often one gets the chance to dine with their grandmother. Let me affix some seals on a few scrolls, and then we can head over to your grandmother's residence together," King Yi Hoo suggested.

With a courteous bow, Yi Kang left the room. He promptly summoned his chief guard and discreetly instructed him to convey a message to Cheongha, regretfully explaining that he wouldn't be able to make it. Additionally, he requested the chief guard to select a silver bracelet from a box in his study and offer it to Cheongha as a gesture of apology.

Before long, his father summoned him to accompany him to his grandmother's residence. Yi Kang couldn't help but wonder how his grandmother would react upon learning that her least favored grandson would be joining her for dinner.

During their journey, his father engaged him in an unusual conversation, asking about his experiences as the newly appointed crown prince. It was a rare topic of discussion between them. His father even inquired about his past rebellious behavior, consistently ranked at the bottom in Jeonggak. To this, Yi Kang explained that he preferred his horse to the lectures in Jeonggak. His father burst into laughter at his response.

"Do you ever regret taking the crown prince position now? There's no turning back, and even if you do regret it, you must persevere," King Yi Hoo teased.

"I don't regret it. At least I can protect Eoma-mama and my little brothers," Yi Kang affirmed.

King Yi Hoo nodded thoughtfully. "True... Being the eldest is no easy task. I don't have any siblings from the same mother, and I didn't have a good relationship with my half-brother, so I can't offer much advice on the matter," he admitted.