Unexpected situation

"It's been quite some time since this headache plagued me," remarked King Yi Hoo as he massaged his temple. Yi Kang squinted at his father, puzzled by his complaint, considering they had spent a month and a half on vacation with his mother. He had even dispatched envoys daily to persuade his father to return, but King Yi Hoo had adamantly refused until a feud between the nephew of the Minister of Rites and the son of the Minister of Justice over a woman resulted in tragedy. The crown prince's unwed status made him improper to handle such kind of case.

"Let's take a breather," King Yi Hoo suggested to the Minister of Economy, Park Gyeong-U, who readily agreed. It was evident that the two of them had been diligently working to stabilize the country's economy. With Yi Kang's afternoon lesson canceled, he seized the opportunity to discuss pressing matters with his father.

Eunuchs and court ladies brought snacks and tea for their enjoyment. Yi Kang noticed his father's shoulders relaxing as he sipped his tea.

"Abba-mama, regarding the military budget at the border—"

"You can handle it," King Yi Hoo interrupted his son.

Yi Kang sighed heavily. "Abba-mama, now that you've returned to the palace, the ministers may raise objections if I continue—"

"Who?" King Yi Hoo challenged.

"Ne?"

"I haven't heard anyone complain. Do you know who complains about our Seja, Minister Park?" King Yi Hoo inquired of Park Gyeong-U.

"No, Your Majesty," Park Gyeong-U replied.

"What do you mean no one, Abba-mama? Minister Hwang complains every day," Yi Kang remarked. He had never appreciated the old man's existence until now.

"He's old. All old people are like that. Even your grandmother complains all the time," King Yi Hoo explained.

Yi Kang was on the verge of persuading his father, but King Yi Hoo gazed at him with a touch of sorrow. "Just lend your father a helping hand, Seja. Yoon So Gwang and Minister Park are both exceptionally reasonable. They will support you to the best of their abilities. Yoon So Gwang, in particular, would never toy with the lives of our soldiers, having been one himself. Many of his comrades are stationed at the border," King Yi Hoo remarked.

Yi Kang let out a resigned sigh. "Your son will certainly do his utmost," he affirmed, instantly brightening King Yi Hoo.

"Right, Minister Park, I've been pestering you for twenty years to tie the knot. Finally... I've heard rumors of good news about your marriage circulating," King Yi Hoo mentioned as if steering the conversation away from a weighty matter.

Park Gyeong-U chuckled and shook his head. "Jheona... Those are mere rumors," he replied.

"I heard she's quite the beauty," King Yi Hoo probed.

"The rumor is not true, Jheona," Park Gyeong-U insisted.

"Really? So the rumors are baseless? You've never had a date with Yoon So Gwang's eldest daughter?" King Yi Hoo inquired with curiosity.

Yi Kang nearly choked on his tea. He coughed and stared at Park Gyeong-U in astonishment.

"Be cautious, Seja," King Yi Hoo cautioned. "Even our Minister Park is a man. Falling for a beautiful woman is perfectly normal."

"I can assure you it's a false rumor."

"Not true?"

"Absolutely not," Park Gyeong-U vehemently shook his head.

"What a shame... I'd heard she was quite the beauty," King Yi Hoo lamented.

Yi Kang simply bowed his head, toying with his teacup, hiding his expression in the shadow