Seventeen

I had to talk to someone, so I sent a letter to Athena explaining everything that had happened.

Dear Athena,

Thanks for your encouragement!  If not for you, I would have given up by now, and I'd probably be happy, single and dateless for the rest of my life.  Our sort-of-date was OK- neither of us spilled food on our shirts.  But in the end, she told me to  expect to be stuck in the Friend Zone.  She mentioned a boyfriend from before she came here.  They almost never contact each other, but t hey never broke up; so technically, they're still an item.  She didn't seem happy about it, but she said we couldn't date.  I know she's worth pursuing, but I don't want to make a mess of her life, or mine.  What now?

                                                                                    Dazed and Confused,

                                                                                    Oudena

My dinner with Jenni was awesome, except for the bombshell at the end, and I was feeling good.  Maybe being assigned to the Friend Zone for a while wouldn't be such a bad thing.  I decided I could live with the idea of a boyfriend who lived on the other side of the planet and ignored Jenni for an entire year.

I sat down to catch up on my reading, when my phone buzzed.  I saw Jenni's name, and I answered immediately.   She was louder than I had ever heard her.

"OH MY GOD, HE'S HERE!"

I asked, in a calm voice, "Who's here?"

"JOSHUA!  My boyfriend from Cebu!  He was standing outside my dorm this morning.  I don't know what to do!  He's acting like nothing has changed between us...like we're still in high school, back in Cebu.  What should I do?"

I was as puzzled as Jenni.  "How did he get here?  Filipinos can't just hop on a plane and come to the US."

Jenni was upset.  "He's a good student.  He said he has a student visa, and he plans on attending Oneonta State next semester.  He's staying with some people he met online.  Dylan, I cana't just forget that he ignored me for the past year.  He wanted to walk me to class and hold my hand.  He kissed me before I left him!  I don't want that."

Jenni was quieter, but her hands were shaking.  "He followed me all day.  He walked me to every class, holding my hand even though I tried to pull away, and waited outside until each class was over.  He's like a loyal puppy.  But I don't want a dog.  A few minutes ago, I insisted that he leave- he wanted to spend the night.  CAN YOU BELIEVE IT?  I haven't seen him in a year, and we never did that in Cebu."

I was wide-eyed.  He hasn't contacted you in a year, and he expected to sleep with you?  Does he think he freakin' owns you?"

Jenni said, that's exactly how I felt all day long, like I was his brown-skinned Barbie doll.  I used to love him, but now I wonder why."

Jenni, tomorrow might be different.  I hope you can sleep, amiga.  Does Joshua know when your first class begins?"

I saw her shaking her head.  "No, I didn't give him any information about my schedule."

"Then maybe you'll have an easier day.  Do you still want to run later?  I won't force you to hold my hand while we run, I promise."

We agreed to meet, and I ended our conversation...hoping that I could sleep well.