Part Four - Chapter Five | The Nina Project

"You said you were going to be ten minutes." Steve mumbled to Allison as he ran his shaking fingers through his disheveled hair, biting down hard on his bottom lip. Dustin and Lucas were comforting Max in the Wheelers basement, sitting on the couch on both sides of her as the Sinclair boy rubbed her shoulders, cradling her head in the crevice of his neck. The two adults stood by the stairs as Robin and Nancy conversed with the teens, being filled in on what had happened back at the cemetery.

"I'm sorry- I got carried away." The blonde replied, keeping her eyes trained on the shaken redhead. "It could've just as easily been you- and we wouldn't have been able to help."

"But it wasn't." Allison sighed, moving her gaze to the boy beside her. Her eyes fell to his shaking hands that he had in fists, thumbs nervously twitching. She reached down, cautiously holding her hands over his. "It wasn't me. And you saved Max. All three of you- we know the key now."

"But it's not the solution, she's still cursed. You're still cursed. What's to say he won't come for you next?"

"I'd say he can try, but we're one step ahead."

"Hardly, Al. We have to tell the others- we're dealing with something bigger than before, and we have almost zero knowledge on how to stop it. We have no clue what else he's capable of... we only just got a glimpse. We can't afford to be selfless... not now... please agree with me."

"Do you honestly think telling them that they have to worry about more than one life right now is the best thing?"

"It doesn't matter what we think is best... it's what's right."

"I'm sorry that I scared you back at the graveyard... but I- I think we should give it time."

"We might not have time, Allie."

"Hey, you two- care to share what you're whispering about over there?" Robin called out, drawing their attentions. Everyone's eyes were on them, and Steve's were on Allison's- pleading. "Nothing. Just figuring things out." Allison smiled, earning a repressed grunt from Steve as he dragged his hand down his face in frustration. "Okay... well we're all pretty exhausted and would like to sleep without hearing you go back and forth."

"We didn't realize you were trying to rest, sorry." The blonde apologized, taking her own spot on the floor before being passed a blanket from Lucas. Steve found a spot in a chair, propping his legs atop the desk as he warily watched Allison rest her head on the floor. He didn't understand why she wouldn't want anyone to know her life was at stake, or how not telling anyone would help, but he couldn't bring himself to go against her wishes. He just prayed nothing would happen, leaving him with the guilt of knowing he never spoke up.

-

Her breathing was shaky as she stared ahead, watching the dark blue-sky flash with red. It was cold, wherever she was. Her eyes darted around her surroundings as echoing screams and unearthly sounds came from the distance, behind the tall, charred trees.

Her fingers balled into fists before she felt the wetness of them; slowly, her eyes lowered to her hands, breath hitching as she observed them covered in a dark crimson. But the blood wasn't just on her hands, it was on her clothes, and the ground. Her hands desperately wiped against her stained clothes in attempt to wipe away the blood before strained whimpers came from behind, obtaining her attention. She was scared to see what was below, but terrified when she actually saw it.

Steve was laid out on the ground, open wounds pooling with blood covering his body. His eyes were clouded, staring straight to the sky. Her voice called out his name, but it was as if he couldn't hear her. She tried to move forward, to fall to his side, but her feet wouldn't let her move.