1

Eva Stokes, known as Evie to her friends, found herself caught in a bittersweet longing. With her brown hair framing her delicate face and her green eyes shimmering with unspoken emotion, she watched Michael Brew, the charismatic lead vocalist of a band that still lurked in the shadows of obscurity.
They had knew each other for five long years, exchanging fleeting glances and polite conversations that left Eva’s heart racing, yet Michael remained blissfully unaware of the depth of her feelings.

In her heart, she carried a secret that only one person shared: Sam, the freelance security guard who often worked for Michael’s band and sometimes filled in as their guitarist. Their unexpected friendship had blossomed amid the noise of concerts and the backstage chaos, providing Eva a safe space to express her dreams and doubts. Despite Sam’s different sexual orientation, their bond was unbreakable, a connection that transcended the surface. Their easy camaraderie often led others to mistakenly view them as a couple, a misconception they played along with, delighting in the camaraderie it provided.

Years ago, when the band received a chance to tour abroad, Eva was faced with a dilemma. The opportunity was tantalizing, a chance to explore a new culture and pursue higher education. She saw the potential for growth, but her true motivation was to be closer to Michael. She shared her thoughts with Sam, who understood her unspoken desires all too well, and with his encouragement, she decided to go.

Upon arriving in the new country, Eva felt a rush of exhilaration and fear. Sam had pulled strings, securing her a job at a local pub owned by Paul, a kind-hearted man who recognized Eva’s determination. Paul not only offered her a position but also became her unofficial mentor, helping her navigate the intricacies of a new language and culture. In exchange, Eva lent her voice to the pub’s open mic nights, where she showcased her talent alongside Sam, who strummed his guitar with an easy charm.

Their ruse as a couple was simple yet effective. Paul knew the truth, but he allowed them the freedom to create their own narrative. Regular patrons often marveled at their apparent compatibility, and in those moments, Eva found solace. The music they played together became a soundtrack to their friendship, filled with laughter and shared dreams.

As she settled into her cozy home near the pub, Eva often found herself daydreaming about Michael, imagining the glances he might cast her way if only he could see her now, confident and radiant. Yet every time they crossed paths, whether at a concert or during casual hangouts, her heart sank a little deeper, realizing the distance between them remained insurmountable.