36. Pink Bluebells And Justicias

"Julie!" George called out from the other room.

"Yup?" I answered from the kitchen, struggling to open a carton of orange juice.

"What caused a dextrocardia?" His voice echoed from afar.

"A what?" It sounded like gibberish to me.

"A dextro...cardia." George appeared in sight, pronouncing each syllable carefully.

"Why are you asking?" I raised an eyebrow, It was 9 in the morning, far too early to ask such questions for me.

"Just curious." George shrugged. His arms are positioned behind his back.

I huffed and hung my head in the air, thinking of an easy way to explain it and stopping the process of pouring myself a glass of orange juice.

"Well... A human's heart would normally point towards the left side of the chest, but dextrocardia is when it points towards the right, the opposite direction basically, and there isn't a clear cause for it as of now, but it presents itself at birth, so it's a very rare condition."

"Is it deadly?" George asked in more depth.

"Not really, No. In most cases, which are very little since it's really rare, medications would be prescribed to manage respiratory infections and keep blood out of the lungs."

"Sounds interesting, so what does it all mean in english ?" George raised his eyebrows to indicate that not a single word I said registered in his brain. I rolled my eyes at his tone.

"Medication that prevents bacteria from infecting your breathing system and things as such." I tried to make it clear and I seemed to succeed when he nodded in understanding.

"But in usual cases, dextrocardia can cause the heart to beat irregularly, either too slow or too fast, so that can be deadly."

I poured a second glass of orange juice for George as I explained.

"So what can we do about that?"

"Implant a pacemaker into your heart. It's like a little device that controls your heartbeat. But it's a new discovery, so I'm not sure how far the impact will come about."

I passed George his glass of juice.

"Well if you can explain it that well in less than 5 minutes, then why the ruddy hell do you need a 27 page report on it?"

George then revealed what was hidden behind his back once he took the glass of juice from me. It was my essay report on the subject and how much medical technology has expanded since the last decade.

"You nosy snitch!" I tried to snatch the papers from his grip. With small jumps, I managed to claim my property back from him.

"It caught my interest, is all!" He defended himself instantly, holding his hands up in innocence.

"Yeah but I don't go about reading your  lyrics and stuff, don't I?" I gave him a nasty look.

"Spoilt sport." George frowned, taking a gulp of his drink.

"27 pages is needed for me to understand the condition. Like Einstein once said, if you can't explain it to a 6 year old until they understand it, then you haven't understood it enough." I clarified my reasons.

"Bit nerdy don't you think?" George arched an amused eyebrow.

"So I've been told." I said mindlessly. "Got a problem with it, Harrison?"

"Fine by me." George put his hands up in agreement with his dopey smile.

I shot down the remainder of my drink. Life has been pretty uneventful lately. Boring almost. The only thing that kept me on my nerves whenever I felt like wanting to feel something was my exam results, they are overdue now and it was making me anxious.