Recovering

Avilina's P.O.V.:

I groan as I start to wake up. Opening my eyes, I stare at the canopy of my bed, which is covered in purple and white flowers draped down toward the floor. Smiling, I inhale the flowery scent as I slowly sit up, grunting as a sharp pain runs down my back.

"Mother fucker!" I yell as I collapse back on the bed, groaning. "Never, ever, will I fight against trolls!"

A light chuckle scared me as I jumped out of my bed, falling off of it in the process and landing on my sore back. I slowly sit up and peek over my bed, trying to figure out who laughed, only to spot Balin, who looks at me with a small smile. I return the smile and quickly hide as I notice everything is exposed. How much did he see? Oh, God, is he going to report me to Thorin? Oh, I'm fucking screwed.

"You don't need to hide, lassy. I mean you no harm." Balin says, not moving from his spot.

I sigh as I stand up, stretching my wings and folding them behind me. "How long have you been sitting there?"

"I've been here since the elves allowed only one visitor two days ago." Balin answers.

"Oh, okay," I say until it hits me, "I've been out for two days?!" I shouted as I start to pace back and forth.

"Yes, Lord Elrond said that your wounds were more internal than anything else. And when we explained how many times you were knocked down, he said your healing would take a few days. Though he was unsure when you'd wake up." he explained to me. "As for your secret I won't tell Thorin."

I stop my pacing as I look at him surprised. "You're not going to sell me out? Why? I'm half of what your dwarves hate. I haven't earned any of your loyalty yet, I feel like I trashed some bridges."

He chuckles. "Yes, you managed to knock the building blocks off the foundation, but you've also shown your eagerness to help our cause. You've also opened up quite a bit during our trip, and I don't judge by race, by intention yes."

I sit at the edge of my bed and sighs. "My intentions are true. I want to help you reclaim your home. To be honest, when I signed the contract and looked it over, I didn't even want the share of the treasure. Seeing your happy faces when you can finally get to set foot inside your home is all I need, not some gold."

"Lassy," Balin hesitates an obvious question that's trapped on his tongue.

"Don't be afraid to ask any questions." I say softly. "I understand that it's only fair I share my story with you. I'll let you know what topic is sensitive."

"What is your lineage? You say your parents are humans, however, you have more dragon appearance. How is that possible?" Balin asked, making me sigh as I shift so I looked at him.

I closed my eyes as I picture that event like it happened mere moments ago. I never talked about that moment with anyone, because of the nightmares. It started out innocently, me standing in front of a mirror staring at my normal reflection, which slowly morphed into a monster. The voice that left on my bloody lips was demonic in nature, and it spoke with such horrors of what I truly am. What I will become. So, I ran away, as the scene changed to my room in Rivendell, only to run as black, shadowy hands start reaching out for me. Grabbing me and starts dragging me back towards the mirror; expecting to see my demonic reflection I see Midnight who smirks evilly at me as I was dragged in darkness. Then I'd wake up in a cold sweat. I was afraid that if I opened up to anyone those black, shadowy hands would come after me and drag me back to the hell I once called home.

"Avilina?"

I snapped my head towards Balin. "Sorry, I haven't told anyone about that..."

"We don't have to talk about it." Balin says softly.