Cursed

Avilina P.O.V.:

Sweat rolled down my face as I stare at my opponent. I shift my feet slightly to the left as I circle my opponent, but keep an eye on him; then I attacked. I launched myself at the training hologram with full force not once letting up as I block hits from the dummy, dodged, and exchanged blows not caring in the world. I dodged as the dummy tried to hit me with its mace. I hit him with my sword slashing its arm, but that doesn't stop it from hitting me with it mace; sending me a few feet back. Quickly getting back on my feet I lunged at the dummy only to have it disappear before I could deliver the final blow. Panting heavily, I put my sword back in its sheath before turning around to see my mentors walking down the stairs.

"Avilina you must not strain yourself so much," he speaks as he puts a hand on my shoulder. "You'll tire yourself out before the battle even starts."

I let out a sigh knowing he's right. I look at him a frown etches on my face. "I know, but I don't want to watch my home fall like the others. My parents died defending this place trying to keep it out of Midnight's reach. And I won't watch it fall because I'm weak."

He gives me a small smile. "You are not weak, Avilina." I look at him. "You are strong. You carry a burden that shouldn't be carried. If this temple falls, then let it fall. Sooner or later this place will fall with or without its warrior's protection."

I look away from him as I let his words sink in. A part of me believes that he's right, but my stubborn nature wouldn't allow me to believe the truth in words. I walked away from him and head to my secret place.

Anima stood there as he watched my frame disappear into the forest, before checking up on the other warriors.

I took my sword out of my sheath and began using the trees as a means of letting out my frustration.

"Why doesn't he get it?" I asked out loud to no one in particular as I slash at a nearby tree. "I'm trying to keep this temple alive and from falling into the hands of Midnight! But he says that if it falls it'll fall...what does that even mean?!?!" I yelled as my strikes become harder, faster, and became messing and predictable as that of a rookie.

I soon stopped as I let my breathing slow down, so I'm not hyperventilating. I lower my sword to the ground as I close my eyes, and open my ears to the surroundings around me. I began naming the sounds I heard: birds chirping their songs of love, the rustling of leaves, the whispers in the wind. I inhaled then exhaled as I open my eyes. Slowly I began lifting my sword and pulling it to my side as I get in my fighting stance. And just like a dance; I move slowly to the rhythm of my breathing and from there I move gracefully across the ground like it was a dance floor. And my partner was the blade in my hand. I zoned out from everything that was going on around me that I lost track of time.

It was when I heard the drums of war, and that pulled me back to reality. My head snapped back to to the direction of the temple, and my eyes widen when I saw black smoke rising from the temple. Without another thought , I put my sword back in its sheath and made a be-line toward the temple. My heart pounded in my chest, and every step I take feels like I'm running across an unending road. A road that never ends. I shook my head as I push myself to run faster toward the temple. The closer I get the louder the screams get. Once I get in I pull out my sword and began attacking the Black Knights left and right not allowing anyone to live as I make my way toward the training ground.

'Oh, Lord please don't allow it to be too late,' I thought to myself as I rave toward the training ground. Once I get there I spot Anima battling Midnight. Anima can hold his own in a fight, but when I see Midnight about to deliver the final blow. I watch in horror; a hand over my mouth trying not to let out a sob.