Episode One: Shooting Star

The sound of scratching's and etchings on paper was the only thing to be heard in Childe's small one-bedroom apartment. The man sat at his desk in the corner of his room, hunched over in a focused yet anxious state.

Every few minutes, he would sneak worried glances at the digital clock at the edge of his wooden desk beneath the lamp. Childe leaned back in his chair, pushing up his thick-framed glasses with his forefinger, his eyes hastily scanning over the panels.

Childe, a newbie mangaka, had only just finished his final sketch for the latest chapter of his manga, "Heart of Depth." His deadline was approaching fast; he knew he only had a good sixteen hours to finish inking and final details before it had to be sent off to the publisher for the new Harbinger Weekly issue.

This wasn't an uncommon occurrence for the young author, however. Not only did he not have an assistant to aid him in his work, but procrastination was an active disease in his body. Childe knew that sloppiness was not an option; he knew that asking for an extension would surely sully his fragile reputation within the industry.

By sheer luck, his story had only been serialized a few months prior. Considering this magazine company was notorious for not serializing newbies—first-time mangaka nonetheless—Childe felt graced to even have this opportunity; showing evidence of his negligence was a risk not worth taking.

The time had now shown that it was half past two a.m. A normal person would consider this late; Childe, on the other hand, felt a surge of optimism. "It's only two, so I might as well take a small break." He stretched back into his chair before sliding his slippers and coat on and leaving his apartment through the living room.

His complex was one of the only places in his area that allowed tenants access to the rooftop. When Childe was looking for a place to live, this stuck out to him most specifically. As an aspiring mangaka, he long adored the cliché of having a rooftop as an escape, like in the numerous stories inspiring him throughout his young life.

The brisk midnight air filled his lungs. A sigh of relief made itself visible in a small cloud in front of his face. Winter was always his favorite time of year. He grew up in the countryside, where the weather was hardly ever described as anything above "chilly," so he found comfort in the cold air, even if it was less exciting in the city.

Childe stood at the fence surrounding the roof; he looked over the shimmering lights that made up the Tokyo skyline. While he missed the peace of his hometown, He prefers the city much more. He admires how big cities never sleep and the constant ambition that surrounds him. Growing up, his ambition was a "blessing and a curse," as stated by people who knew him then.

It wasn't uncommon for his restless urges to chase something to get him into trouble as a child. When he told people in his hometown that he had plans to move to Tokyo to begin his long-time dream career, he was usually met with a response like "God save anyone who crosses Ajax's path."

Even though Childe came from a small town, his family was considerably well-off financially. They had a status to uphold, one Childe couldn't uphold. He became a reckless shut-in as he grew into a teenager so by the time the young male set his eyes on becoming a mangaka, they knew there was no point in stopping him nor was there any reason. He had an elder brother to fulfill the role of inheriting and maintaining the passed-down wealth after all. Childes relationship with his parents was rocky at best but even after moving out of town, he made sure to keep in contact with his siblings.

Childe only made an effort to visit home around the holidays, he preferred for his siblings to come to him anyways. Their amazed expressions when being in such a large and unfamiliar place amused him. It had been about two years now since he came to Tokyo to pursue his career and sometimes he forgets he wasn't born there, to begin with. Perhaps he was born in the city but in a different sense.