Author's Note

It's ONC time again!

So, who's excited about this story? 

*glances at two raised hands excitedly* 

*Oh snap! It is my reflection*

Well, something is better than nothing, right? 

Alright then, to the kind or (otherwise lost) human who has clicked the link and arrived at this page, Welcome

I hope, I can meet your expectations of getting entertained, at least partially. *I am being serious. Like, don't get your hopes up, and you will do fine*

Moving on, this is an original story and suited for ages *yay*. 

So, if you are here looking for something hot and steamy, then this book is not for you. 

However, if you are here to support me, or are cool with some kinda-ok storytelling, THANK YOU SO MUCH ❤

And, for some reason, if you do end up enjoying this offering, PLEASE, vote and comment, and share it with like-minded people *staring at my two raised hands intensifies*

Now that that's out of the way *wipes sweat off my brow* let me acquaint you with the prompt and other technical details:

The prompt I have chosen to go with this time around is Prompt No. 26, and this is how it goes:

As a tourist in a foreign country, you were just snapping pictures. Later that night, you went through your camera roll and were shocked to your core when you saw what you caught on your camera. 

Interpretation:

Bhairavi, a staunch devotee of Shree Ram, is a tourist visiting Kashmir with her daughter. One night she is going through the pictures she has clicked during the day and stumbles across one that shocks her to the core. It's the picture of a girl Bhairavi knows has been dead for almost a year. Scared yet wanting to uncover the truth, she decides to look into the matter and discovers something she couldn't have imagined in her wildest nightmares.

*****

This story is being written for ONC2023. It has references of Ramayana. For Indians, especially Hindus, it is our history.

For non-Indian readers, or those unfamiliar with it, I am including a super short overview of the legend.

Shree Ram, a human incarnation of supreme lord Vishnu, was the rightful heir to the throne of Ayodhya, but due to a promise made by his father, the king, to his second wife, Ram (or Rama) was exiled for fourteen years. He was acompanied by his wife, Sita and younger brother, Laxman, who refused to let him go alone to the forest.

However, in the thirteenth year, Sita was kidnapped by Ravana, the demon king of Lanka (present day Sri Lanka). Distraught, Ram and Laxman began their search for Sita, during which they met and befriended Hanuman (also called as Anjaneya, because his mother was a Nymph called Anjani), the leader of the kingdom of monkeys. Hanuman was super strong and blessed with immortality. He had both human and monkey features. He is considered to be the most staunch devotee of Shree Ram.

Receiving a tip about Sita's whereabouts, Rama sent Hanuman to Lanka to confirm the news and retrieve her.

Finding Sita in Lanka, Hanuman requested Ravana to hand her over. The demon king refused and lit Hanuman's tail on fire.

The leader of monkeys took this opportunity to burn Ravana's golden palace to ground.

Returning to his Lord Rama, together, they built a bridge on the Indian ocean (Ram setu, also known as the Adam's bridge) and rescued Sita from the clutches of Ravana, in the process Ravana was killed by Rama.

Lord Hanuman's Image for reference:

(P. S. - I take no credit for the image. The image is royalty-free.)
*****

Additional information for the Judges: You can find the prompt mentioned in the prologue and again at around the 8k mark. 

*****

Glossary of words and phrases used in this story:

Bhagwanta : A term used to address God

Appa : Dad, Father

Amma : Mom,  Mother

Kanna : Sweetheart

Bangarum : Literal meaning:  gold. Here it has been used as a term of endearment.

Soni Kudi : Beautiful girl

Munda : Man or Boy

Gada : Lord Hanuman's weapon