Chapter 10

"Oh, my God! We need to get to The Springs." Bela exclaimed. "The others might be in danger."

Bhairavi nodded, trying to get off the bed, "Exactly. Oops!" 

Had it not been for Bela's strong arm hooking around her waist, steadying her, Bhairavi would have landed flat on her face. 

"Watch it, will you? I told you, you are in no condition to move!"

Shame and embarrassment washed over the concerned woman in waves. Bhagwanta, please forgive me for hurting her. "I am sorry for being insensitive earlier." Tears of apology rolled down her cheeks. "I am not usually like this."

"Clearly." Bela rolled her eyes. "I know you are not. Now stay here. I will go get something for you to eat. And electrolytes. You look dehydrated."

"Before you go, could you help me to the washroom?"

Bela returned to find Bhairavi looking hale and hearty- like the last few hours hadn't happened at all- going through her travel documents. The itinerary, to be precise. Unlike minutes ago, when she looked like any movement would result in her demise, she seemed full of life. 

What in the name of Lord Rama is going on!? Bela wondered

"Hey," Bhairavi glanced up, waving the sheet of paper, beckoning her new friend closer. "Look what I found."

Bela approached cautiously. "You look-"

"Better." The now cheerful woman finished for her. "I feel better...better than ever. I guess I just needed to wash my face, confide in a friend and pray to Shree Ram. You will think me silly for saying this, but I think I looked the way I did because something supernatural is at work. After you left, I recalled that last night was the first time in decades that I went to bed without praying." Bhairavi bit her lips and searched Bela's eyes, expecting her to laugh it off or judge her naive thinking. However, the latter did nothing of that sort. Instead, Bhairavi watched as a faint tint of pink colored the younger woman's cheeks, leaving her confused. 

Bela cleared her throat. Ignoring the warmth spreading through her, she hastily took the document. "I won't comment on it if that's what you are expecting, but there is definitely something fishy going on, and I won't be able to rest easy till I get to the bottom of this matter!"

Bhairavi smiled, relieved. Then drawing the lawyer's attention to the document, she went on. "Raghav is not following the program schedule. I understand him skipping the visit to the banks of Jhelum after what happened to Amrit-ji, but why did he cancel the culture walk and gondola ride scheduled for today?"

"Beats me." Bela shrugged. "I guess the only way to find out is to go to The Springs. Let's call Raghav."

Bhairavi's face fell, "I did. And Golu too. But I can't seem to get through to either of them. Any suggestions?"

Bela contemplated for a bit; then, "If we walk down to the main road, I think we might get a ride to the springs."

"Yes. Of course! Let's do that." Bhairavi jumped to her feet. "But I think we can cover more ground if we split up."

Bela narrowed her eyes. A hit of excitement danced in their depths like that was what she had been craving forever. "What did you have in mind?"

*****

An hour's trek had brought the women to the main road, where Bela immediately caught a ride to Jiddal Gaon to enquire about the widows: Nans, The Raina group was supposedly taking care of. 

Meanwhile, with every second that sped by, Bhairavi's frustration grew.

One, she had not found The Springs on Google Maps.