Chapter 8

Bhairavi had unexpectedly found herself stuck between a rock and a hard place. Literally!

Sneaking out of her cottage, she had, without checking if the coast was clear, walked over to the van and almost bumped into Raghav walking towards it from the other side.

With darkness as her best friend at the moment, Maithili's mother dashed behind the van. Unfortunately, the way it was backed up against the rock wall gave her hardly any wiggle room.

I knew it; I should have stuck with the diet plan. Bhairavi pursed her lips and sucked in her breath. It helped her, just a smidgen. But it was enough for her to hide from the prying eyes of...well, everyone. Hopefully, it was.

The soft creaking of the van's sliding door signaled that Raghav had entered the van. A moment later, he grunted in pain.

"Boss, I think you need to get it looked at. Won't help to let it get festered."

Bhairavi's eyes almost popped out of her sockets. She could have sworn that she had seen their driver leave the van barely minutes before she had left the cottage. Apparently not.

But if not Golu, who had she caught leaving the van with a shawl wrapped around them like a cocoon?

"Mind your own business. I have it under control." Raghav snapped.

Bhairavi had never heard their guide speak in that tone. I knew it. This is the real him.

"I have had enough of this. Why won't anyone do what I ask? Were they even briefed? I am in charge here, am I not!? Why must they defy me?" Raghav's tone grew furious by the second.

"You are the boss," Golu spoke like someone who either had no clue what his boss was talking about or did not care.

"Why am I even telling you this!?"

"I don't know, boss."

A pregnant pause later, Raghav demanded, "Is everything ready for tomorrow?"

"Yes, boss," Golu replied confidently. "The van has been serviced, I have placed extra tires for any emergency situations we might encounter; the fuel tank is full, and I have spoken to the property's caretaker. He says everything is up and running."

"It better be. We can't afford any more accidents."

"Boss, where did you go last night?"

"Why should I tell you?"

"Do you like that kid, Maithili?"

"What do you think?"

Raghav's tone was cold, like ice. Anger bubbled inside Bhairavi. What exactly was his intention? Why was he keeping Maithili around if she meant nothing to him!?

"I don't know, boss."

"I am here on business, and she is helping me keep Aunty-ji distracted. I need everything to go according to plan."

Raghav paused before spitting out the next word, "Dad won't give me another chance. The deal-Shush!" he fell silent abruptly, and a moment later, someone tapped on the van's door.

The door slid open. "Ah! Nan!" Raghav's fake facade was back in place. "Why did you bother?"

It must be one of the caretaker ladies. Bhairavi guessed. Everyone called the caretakers Nan.

"Eat. Eat."

It was their host from the night before.

"Thank you." Raghav seemed irritated, "I didn't ask you to bring it, did I, Nan?" The voice turned cold like earlier, "Do you think I am incapable of it? Please. Leave." he commanded, leaving no scope for argument.