Prologue and Chapter II Antonius the Latin

I Prologue

            Between the Bronze Age and the Iron Age, about 1100 BC, Volscian people lived in a large area of Latium. They were an ancient people of shepherds, proud and brave, ever ready to fight. Their courage enabled them to hold on for a long time against the fury of the Romans, before being swallowed by history.

In those years, while in distant lands the fate of Troy was being decided, begins the story of a princess named Camilla, a story of courage, sacrifice and love. It begins where the Ausonian Mountains decline at north to the plains[1] , in the valley of the Sacco River, in the middle of Volscian territory.

II Antonius the “Latin”

            His name was Antonius, but he was known as "Latin". His name was rooted in its Etruscan blood. A beard and thinning white hair adorned his face. It was rather unusual that a Latin was established in the middle of Volscian land but Antonius, after a youth spent among adventure and battles, felt that place like home. It was there that twenty five years ago he had met his partner and found the inner peace he had long sought during his turbulent life.

Affectionately called "The Sage" by his god-daughter Camilla, he had become a peaceful farmer and shepherd. He was no longer a young man, but his arms still had strength and vigor, his eyes were clear and still searching for beauty. His mind was still as agile and quick as before, as though the years had not passed.

All Antonius possessed in the world was a basic shelter, not much more than a haystack, walls of stone and a thatched roof. Inside contained two comfortable rooms made with straw, reeds and clay. He possessed some livestock, a small orchard and a millstone. He bought and transported from the annual market at home with his old wooden cart, which provided for his livelihood. There, at the foot of the hill tightly linked to the last of the mountain of Ausonian at north, coming down like beautiful breasts from the neck of a young woman, Antonius had everything he needed, and desired nothing more. Since Arisia, his wife, was gone forever in the arms of Pluto, taken away to the underworld by the malignant fever, Antonius had learned to appreciate the peace of mind and soul that only solitude can give. Only sometimes, at night, the memory of a woman, of her gentle arms, her breasts warm and soft and the lure of her womb rekindled the fire in his veins and awakened a strong desire. But Antonius knew, if sadness had been reluctant to go away, his stock of wine would have to be sufficient to warm his soul.

There was a rich spring close to the house. The soil was red, rich, and fertile. Little Well[2] was a wonder, especially in Spring. In this season, the scent of flowers was inebriating and the sun, peeping out through the oaks, shed a special light, almost divine. When its rays met splashing spring water there came to life a thousand wonderful bright colors. At this sight, Antonius thanked the gods from the depth of his heart for their generosity towards mankind.

He lived in peace, sharing what little he had with everyone who went his way. He had no weapons, except for a bronze knife he used at the time of shearing, or, when it was needed, to grudgingly slaughter his sheep. He had no fear, and he felt he had lived long enough. He had seen too much blood in his youth and he was convinced that one's destiny depends exclusively on the whims of the gods. They were the ones to choose who would live or die.

Little Well was a safe haven. It was quite far from the main passageway. Not far away, a couple of leagues to the south, above Montenero Mountain, near the temple of Diana, there was a small garrison in a little military camp which dominated the south of the valley. The Volscians were a strong and proud people and the garrison's presence deterred marauders, especially the Samnites and Bruzians. Furthermore, Camilla, his god-daughter, had trained his team of young women hunters and warriors in the hills, by the grace of Diana. Even wild boars and wild beasts gave less trouble, so the valley was quiet as never before.

[1]                 At present time: Castro dei Volsci

 [2]              At present time called : Pozzotello