X VIII The dinner

With two lighted lamps and plenty of wood on the fire, Antonius received the two young leaders. Not at all intimidated by the presence of Camertem, the shepherd served very frugal dinner, as prearranged by Camilla. From his point of view, the young king was little more than a boy. The only luxuries he showed in honor of Volcente's son were the double-lumen and a large bottle of wine on the table. The dinner was very tasty, even though it consisted of simple things: vegetables, cheese and cakes; the couple seemed to appreciate it very much.

"After this dinner I'll have to replenish stocks of food for the winter."

Antonius said, humoring them.

"Tomorrow I will send Clelia with the big cart, filled with goods for you and also a pair of pigs too. I would not wish this winter I should remain orphaned and without my advisor because of this dinner."

Said Camilla, playing the game.

The threesome smiled happily. There is nothing better than sharing a meal to strengthen the bonds between people. After a quick dinner, accompanied by long sips of wine, they started discussion about Aeneas, Turnus and the looming war as they sat on the bench around the fire. Camertem and Antonius found themselves in agreement on almost everything: for both, It would be possible to resolve the conflict by granting more land to the Trojans. Also, it was a common belief of both that the ambition and the pride of Turnus would bring many unnecessary deaths. The Trojans, in fact, in the long run would have been absorbed by nearby populations, and perhaps an exchange of women could solve the problem in a bloodless mode. At these words, Camilla became very angry, harshly criticized the two because they did not see women as human beings, but as objects for exchange. Immediately Camertem, apologizing for having offended Camilla, replied:

"Unfortunately, sometimes, it is necessary to find solutions that work for the good of many by sacrificing the few: such an exchange could be acceptable if it would prevent a war."

Antonius showed complete agreement with Camertem, but Camilla continued to be beside herself.

"Sacrifice yourself! I and my she-warriors will put Aeneas and the Trojans before the law of the sword!"

"We are arguing for nothing. Unfortunately, the war is already underway.-Camertem continued- Like I said, tomorrow I will go to swell the ranks of the alliance against Aeneas, to fight side by side with my father. You and your cavalry will be with us?"

Antonius spoke before Camilla could give an answer :

"Camilla, listen well. As a counselor and father, for the good of both you and your people, as queen and daughter, I implore you to not participate in this madness. You can't go against the will of the gods and it is clear Aeneas has their favors. In my lifetime I have seen many wars and I know they only bring death and destruction."

"I'm sorry to disagree with you, father." Camilla said, speaking harshly. "I am the queen, and in honor of the people that I have always served and for their defense and security, I will give my contribution to defeat Aeneas. Almost all the peoples of our region are taking arms against the Trojans. Aeneas has no escape and I will come back soon victorious. I do not intend to discuss it anymore."

The atmosphere became heavy and Camertem, aware of the inner conflict of his guests, thanked Antonius for his hospitality and both said their farewells. The next day he would start at dawn and he needed to rest. Camilla followed Camertem to accompany him to the camp.

As announced, the next day before dawn, Camertem and his warriors left Castrum heading towards the sea. Father and daughter did not meet each other. Antonius had been at his fields and his herds, meanwhile Camilla had been to Castrum to organize his small army of Amazons. Furthermore she sent messengers to Fabrateria and nearby villages to recruit warriors. Within two days they will be ready to go North-West to meet King Turnus and his allies on the battlefield.