Deadly Silence

Universe: Marvel

Love Interests: Tony Stark/Virginia 'Pepper' Potts, mentioned Clint Barton/Laura Barton

Summary: If there were anyone Steve would name as talkative, it would be Stark. Stark doesn't talk anymore, everyone else notices it too. And it seems like Clint is the only one brave enough to say something.

                                                                   ~~*~~

There was a single hospital bed in the room. It was covered in white sheets and had a fluffed-up pillow and Clint wanted to lay down on it and sleep forever, but that wasn't an option as there was already someone else on it.

Tony Stark lay on the hospital bed, his face marred with cuts and bruises. There was a deep slit in his neck and if his chest wasn't rising lightly once in a while, Clint would think he was dead. As soon as Natasha had gotten Clint from his warpath, since the first time he saw Tony, around 2 weeks ago, Tony still lay still in the same position as before.

"Wake up Stark, this isn't time for rest," Clint whispered, tears pricking at the tips of his eyes. Tony still didn't move. Clint slowly backed away from the bed and into the door, before he quickly turned around and walked out.

-Time Skip-

"Tony's awake," Steve said at the end of the meeting, "He will be there at the next meeting."

"Finally," Clint said to himself. Natasha elbowed him and he hissed before straightening up and leaving the room. Steve stared at his back in disappointment and dread.

-Time Skip-

It was time for the next team meeting. The one Tony would be at. Steve gathered his courage and walked through the door. He reminded himself that their past can't get in the way of saving everyone. 

When he walked in, he could see Clint and Nat sitting together and Thor lounging on a bean bag. Bruce was in the corner, sitting on a steel chair, his hands writhed together. Captain Marvel, Carol was standing next to the exit door, her hands crossed. He searched the room for Tony. There was no sign of him. 'Yet', he reminded himself, 'He's not here yet'.

Steve got to the center of the room and faced everyone. "Let's start"

"Where's Tony?" Bruce asked, tired. And as if he was summoned, Tony walked through the door with a cane, Rhodey looking over his shoulder.

"Speak of the devil," Clint muttered, glaring at Tony.

Steve expected Tony to say something but he didn't. He just stood there before Rhodey lead him to a spare couch and seated him on it. Steve looked around, and cleared his throat, bringing attention back to him.

"Now that Tony's better, we can start the actual planning." He glanced towards Tony, waiting for a signature smirk or a snarky comment or just anything familiar, but it seems like the man who now sat in front of him wasn't the Tony he knew.

The whole group talked about what to plan other than Tony who sat quietly, not adding any input. Everyone kept on glancing at Tony worriedly and angrily. Finally, someone couldn't take it anymore.

"We can't do th-"

"Speak, dammit!!" Clint exploded. The others glanced around the room at each other, deciding to see how this plays out. 

Tony wasn't looking at any of them, he was looking at the ceiling, blinking every once in a few seconds. 

"We're not going to wait and hope you speak up and say something." Tony was still quiet. "You don't have the right to stay silent. You haven't lost anyone. You still have Pepper, Rhodey, hell even your driver. I lost my entire family and I'm helping, why aren't you?!"

Tony had stood up sometime in between that speech.

"Steve lost Barnes, Thor lost his home, Shuri lost her brother, everyone here has lost something, but we're still here contributing to help fix this. And you, you have the strength to stand here in front of us, silent, when you haven't lost anyone an-"

A loud sound interrupted Clint, and he held his cheek in shock. Tony was now standing in front of him, his hand raised. They hadn't noticed him walking, too involved in what Clint was saying. Everyone gaped.

A trembling voice said, "You have no idea what you are talking about, Barton, don't say things you don't understand."

Clint opened his mouth but Steve and Natasha put a hand on each of his shoulders and Clint shut t again. Rhodey walked from the back and escorted Tony out of the room. Tony gripped Rhodey's arm and leaned onto him.

Steve watched them go and turned back to Clint to see him storming away. he knew this wasn't the end of the conversation. This would happen again, and until then, they were all going to have to tiptoe around it.

                                                                 ~~*~~