11) Prepare

⚔ In which Link prepares for the end ⚔  

Most of the time, riding horseback in the dead of night is peaceful. It's quiet, and calming, and if you're not afraid of your own thoughts, it gives you ample time to think about things. I, however, don't really like being left with my thoughts.

But sometimes, riding horseback in the dead of night is not very peaceful.

This is not the first time I've heard voices while rising horseback in the dead of night. Usually, it's the maniacal laughter of the Yiga Clan scouts or some rambling traveler. Often its nearby monsters snoring or grumbling about whatever it is monsters grumble about.

But tonight, it's Zelda. Zelda sparing her strength to speak to me for the first time since the last blood moon two or three weeks ago.

"Link... please hurry. Ganon's power only grows. You have done well, but your mission is now over."

I click, urging Berry to go faster. When presented with the fork at Dueling Peaks, I go back to Kakariko.

By the afternoon the following day, I'm riding into Kakariko. Cottla runs alongside my horse, alerting anyone who can hear that I've come back shouting "Link's back! Link's back!" I smile and hoist her into the horse's saddle until we ride by Dorian.

"Cottla, it's Master Link. You know this," Dorian says, picking her up off the saddle as I slide down.

"No, Link said it's okay! Right, Link?" she asks, turning to me.

I nod. "I don't really like the Master thing."

Dorian nods, smiling. "Master Impa is upstairs. I believe she's awake."

I thank him and jog up the stairs. Impa sits on her usual cushioned chair and smiles when I enter.

"I've heard from my scouts that four Divine Beasts are aiming at Hyrule Castle." Her smile is warm and assuring. "You've done well so far, Link. Few steps remain."

"Zelda told me to hurry. I don't like that she's using her strength to warn me."

Impa regards me. "I'm sure Zelda's used her power to watch you, Link. I doubt she could help herself."

I purse my lips. She should be using her strength to stay alive. A nagging fear I've got is that Zelda will die before I get there. And without her, the monster can't be slain.

"I assure you; Zelda knows her strength. I'm sure she can handle herself."

I sigh. There's no use in arguing with her.

"And what about the memories? Anything new to report?"

I shake my head. Nothing new since the castle. Impa sighs. "There's still hope you could remember by seeing her again. It's not guaranteed, but it's a possibility."

I nod. "Where's Paya?"

Impa smiles. "By the cooking pot, I think."

I nod and leave the house. Paya is sitting with Koko, laughing at something she said. Whatever they're making smells great.

I walk up and sign my greeting, signing Paya's name differently. During a previous stay, she told me about sign names where you do a certain sign instead of finger spelling their name. Paya told me hers means "fruit" which I thought was funny. And she gave me one, too, using the sign for "link" which could also mean chain links, or a link to something. I thought it was funny at first, but it makes sense.