Chapter 8

"Hmm, you and I clearly remember those events very differently, Niklaus. It was obviously I who solved that ordeal, as per usual." Elijah grumbles, shooting Niklaus an exasperated look.

Elijah, Niklaus, and Amara had found their way to the couch, none of them ready for bed. The two sleeping Originals in her bedroom had claimed her bed, sprawling themselves onto it, forcing Amara to join the remaining two brothers, which they of course didn't mind.

Within no time, Niklaus had pressed a cup of coffee in her hand and Elijah had herded her to the couch. Both were eager to get some alone time with their mate. Elijah and Niklaus had both grown exasperated over Amara's denial and efforts to act normal in this very abnormal situation. They simply wanted to prove to the human that being with them, in their presence and in a relationship, wasn't as awful as she originally believed.

"On the contrary, Elijah. I believe it was me who saved the day and you who had been sulking in your study." Niklaus replies.

"You keep telling yourself that, brother. I am more than willing to travel to France to prove myself right." Elijah takes on a self-righteous expression. He and Niklaus often held discussions regarding their past triumphs, and it was not the first time they had traveled across the globe just to settle an argument. Of course, they would first need to get back to their universe, but once they were, he would once again prove Niklaus wrong.

"You guys are insane. Am I seriously witnessing an Original pissing contest?" Amara lets out a hearty laugh, not believing she had to deal with thousand-year-olds, who all seemed to have a very easily bruised ego.

"Yes, you are, love. The first of many." Niklaus supplies.

"Thanks for the heads-up." Amara laughs, slapping her hand on Niklaus's chest before realizing what she was doing. Her laughter dies down, and she stares at her hand for a moment, which was still placed on the hybrid's chest. She was frozen, feeling the warmth radiating through his shirt. "Oh fuck."

"What is wrong, Amara?" Elijah shares a look with Niklaus before dropping his gaze back to his mate, worried. Amara's expression now seemed close to upset.

"You sneaky bastards." Amara mutters while pulling her hand back, frowning at the floor. She hadn't even noticed how comfortable she had become with the Mikaelsons, and how she had secretly appreciated their presence and attentiveness.

"I assume you're talking about us and let me just say that's not very nice." Elijah remarks while folding his arms in front of his chest, clearly offended. The only bastard here is Niklaus.

"You tricked me." Amara groans, letting her head flop back into the couch cushions. "You tricked me into liking you." She lets out a disbelieving scoff, oh how the mighty have fallen. Amara hadn't wanted to curse out loud or explain herself, but wine tended to make her loose-lipped.

"That's a good thing, right?" Niklaus asks tentatively. His mate confused him, her tone was accusing, but she had a somewhat pleased little smile on her face, which made her even more pretty in Niklaus's opinion.

"I don't know." Amara replies earnestly, lifting her gaze to the ceiling and decidedly ignoring the arm Elijah wraps around her. She might have leaned a little into Elijah's warmth, but that was not something she would ever admit.

Amara lets out a sigh and shakes her head in disbelief before speaking the words she had dreaded. "Fine. You said something on the night we met about... you-know-what. Will you explain it to me? Please?"

Elijah refrains himself from smirking upon seeing Amara's tortured expression, especially the 'please' that seemed to hurt her. He contemplates briefly if he should make her work for it a little, to make up for their unpleasant first meeting, but he quickly rejects the idea.