Moving on

Follow the Instagram @pretty_book_worm_ for updates

I woke up on the couch wrapped in my blanket. I looked around and saw Jada in the kitchen cooking something. Immediately my sense of smell kicked in and I smelled bacon.

I live for bacon. Bacon is my love.

I got off the couch and called Jada but she didn't respond, upon further squinting, I realized that she had her AirPods in.

I took my blanket off the couch and went to put it in my room. I also went to pee before heading back to the kitchen. Jada was done cooking and greeted me with a smile.

Today is Sunday so we don't have work. We sat at the table and ate our breakfast in comfortable silence. I love Jada, she's my cousin by my dads' side, his sister's daughter, and she's definitely my best friend.

We grew up together and shared a lot of experiences together. We went to the same schools, and most parties that she dragged me to, her mother's funeral was a tough one but we stuck it out together.

Aunty was taken away from us violently. A drunk driver. A waste of space that man was. He doesn't deserve to live after what he did to our family. And he walked free.

Jamaica justice system a fuckry

She was walking home from a church service and stopped to talk to one of her friends who sold at the market. As she was walking away the dogshit of a man came speeding down the road and ended up on the market 'paisa' and crushed her. He also ran into a few stalls injuring a few vendors but they made it out alright. After running over her, he tried reversing with her body still pinned under his car.

When our fathers went to the morgue to identify her body the only thing they recognized was the ring on her finger. She was unrecognizable. It was a closed-casket funeral and it really took a toll on the family.

But I was there for Jada, it was the bare minimum as a cousin and as a friend. And I can see her trying to do the same for me, but she doesn't need to. My mother is alive, and I bet she's still as evil as ever.

That woman was rarely kind to me growing up and was even harsher during my teenage years. I was her only child but my dad had another daughter before he met and married my mom.

After she had me, she had postpartum depression and dad said she never really bonded with me as a baby. Which is normal, and happens to a lot of mothers. But that woman hated me and most people in our family could see it.

She also preferred Jada over me for multiple reasons but that honestly never bothered me. It often offended Jada though and she would tell my mother to spend time with me but she scoffed at the idea. I was, still am, the bane of her existence.

In high school, I majored in the sciences and minored in business, same in college. I wanted to be a doctor so I could prove to her that I was worthy of her approval.

But by my last year of college, we had a huge fight and I moved out and away from her. When I graduated, I opened my store and Jada helped out until she became an employee. If anything was to ever happen to me, everything I own will go to Jada. I trust her more than I trust myself.

"So who a the sexy man weh did come ina d store yesiday?" Jada winked at me and I looked away trying to hide my smile.

"I met him at the party. His name is Adrian," I said and she nodded chewing on her last piece of bacon.

"Girl him look good man, Jah know if mi and babes neva deh mi woulda jump him. But eh obvious say him like uh. All when uh dee a walk outa the store him eye dem nuh leff uh." she said and I laughed.