𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚝𝚠𝚘

𝙻𝙴𝙾

Just Leo's luck, getting the one girl that didn't like him to take him on a tour. At least if he was murdered, everyone would know who's to blame.

The girl was beautiful, a word Leo didn't throw around lightly. Well, that was a lie, Leo had thrown that word around like a kid with a baseball in Little League, but she was a beautiful he hadn't seen before.

It was almost like she didn't know she was beautiful or, more likely, she didn't care. Her jet-black hair was tied up in a tight bun, two thick strands loose in the front. Her eyes were a piercing blue; they reminded Leo of ice in a cup of cool water. She had pale skin, as if she had never seen the sun in her lifetime.

Her orange camp T-shirt was tucked into a pair of camo pants which were tucked into a pair of combat boots. Her combat boots had definitely seen better days, but they were still in pretty good condition. She looked like she'd jumped straight out of an army wear catalogue.

"So Liz," Leo started as their footsteps crunched autumn leaves. "You single?"

Liz gave Leo a side-eye, but continued walking. "Yes. Happily so."

"Maybe I could make you unhappily so." Not Leo's smoothest line, but he was trying.

"I doubt it. I've never been too fond of Hephaestus children. Especially the boys." She said the last word with such disgust, Leo found himself agreeing with her, as if her distaste was infectious.

"Festus? Sounds like the god of cowboys." Leo joked. It hid his anger at the universe. His dad was really the god of fire. Ironic considering what happened to his mom.

"He-phaestus," Liz corrected, eyeing Leo like he was stupid. "God of blacksmiths and fire."

Leo attempted to hide his grimace at the mention of fire. Hopefully, Liz wouldn't  notice.

"Who’s your godly parent?" Leo asked, trying to change the subject.

"Poseidon. God of water, to put it simply."

"Fire and water, huh?" Leo raised his eyebrows and smirked. "Opposites attract, you know."

Liz rolled her eyes. "Not a chance, Valdez." Leo had made it a point of introducing himself, but Liz had taken it as a chance to only use his last name which felt derogatory.

"Baby, we're on a first name basis. Call me Leo."

"Why did I have to get you?" Liz muttered aloud. She crossed her arms.

"Like I said, opposites attract."

"Like I said, not a chance."

"Dang, girl, why you gotta be so cold?"

"I can show you cold," Liz challenged.

Liz grabbed Leo's hand, and his eyes widened. He had just been joking around, he didn't expect her to actually like him back.

But Liz didn't hold his hand like a normal girl, of course not. She pinched his palm and the back of his hand, looking him straight in the eyes. His hand grew colder and colder as a thin blanket of ice began to encase his palm. Leo pulled it away, shaking his arm and shoving his hand into his pocket to warm it up.

"Birth defect or something. I get snow powers instead of water powers," Liz explained briefly. Her eyes grew dark, as if she was hiding something behind them. "Anyway, let's continue. You've got to meet your bunk-mates."

Liz turned, shoving her hands into her pants pockets. Leo caught up, walking next to her. That explained why she only wore a t-shirt in this chilly air.