Chapter 12

"Ansel!" Elena yelled waving frantically as she entered the clearing leaving Rebekah and Ayana to slowly walk behind her.

"My girl is back." He smiled into the top of her head pulling her into a tight hug. "How have you been?"

"Good. Well great actually... I'm to be married when I get back home." She smiled looking up to meet his eyes.

"You found him then? Your Klaus?"

She nodded dipping her head under his chin again.

"Do you bring news?" He said as Ayana and Rebekah stopped in front if them.

"Nothing new." She smiled. "This is Rebekah. I hope you don't mind we brought an extra this time."

"Klaus' sister." She whispered

"Niklaus is your Klaus?"

"Yes." Her eye brows scrunched together observing the look he gave Ayana.

"Pleased to meet you." Rebekah said courtsing.

"Please rest and relax from your journey, you will be staying in my hut. I'll see you all at dinner later." Ansel said ducking away quickly.

----

"You two were very close? You and Ansel?" Rebekah said as they walked to the fire later that night.

"Yes" she smiled knowing he shared her secret. "He's the only father figure I have left."

"Well I think he seems nice. Who's that?" She gawked at the man sitting around the fire already.

"That's Alexander." She whispered.

"He's hot!" She giggled.

"He's great. And single." Elene laughed wiggling her eyebrows. "Lets go talk to him!"

"No! Elena-"

"Shh!"

"Elena love!" His voice boomed grabbing her into a bear hug. "Glad to see my favorite girl is alive and well. I heard you found a beau!" He ruffled her hair letting her go.

"Stop!" She laughed swatting him as she fixed her hair. "This is my soon to be sister Rebekah. She's pretty isn't she?" Elena smiled winking at Rebekah, who's face was now a dark shade of red.

"Pleased to meet you." She smiled shyly but Elena could see it all over her face, she was smitten and frankly they both deserved each other. They were both loyal, sweet and loved having a good time.

"The pleasure is all mine beautiful."

Elena was quickly forgotten as they continued to talk.

"Already playing matchmaker after not even being here but an hour?"

"I couldnt help it. They're perfect for each other."

"As that might be, they are not who I want to talk to you about."

"Oh?"

"Niklaus."

"Oh."

"Take a walk with me?"

She got up silently and followed him as they walked the perimeter of the village.

"Listen, there's some things I haven't told you and since you told me your story I owe you mine." He stopped to stare at her but she nodded to encourage him along silently. "A long time ago, when I was practically a teenager; I met the love of my life. Haven't been with anyone since actually. I'm a fool." He said shaking his head as if it could shake away the memories.

"What happened to her?" Elena said hanging on every word he said.

"She was married and had 3 children so it wasn't possible to be together."

"Ansel." She said gently knowing where this was going.

"He was a horrid man-abusive would be too kind of a descriptor. Well anyway she would come here every so often to bring news as Ayana does now-"

"You're talking about Esther aren't you?"

His eyes widened as his pace slowed. "How did you know?"

"Alexander had mentioned the first night I met Ayana that Esther sometimes comes with her. I know from my time a werewolf fathered a child with her." Elena held his gaze hoping he wouldn't freak out. "I wasn't positive it was you but now I do. Does Nik know?"

"No. Esther never told me in such words either."

"Then how did you realize he was your son?"

"Us wolves...we know our own blood."

"Like you just sense it?"

"More like smell it and feel it in our bones. You understand?"

"I do."

"I saw him out in the woods one night on a full moon. I knew instantly he was my son and since I hadn't been with any other maidens.."

"You knew he was Esther's child."

"Yes."

"Will you ever tell him?"

"No. I let that dream go a long time ago."

"You know what Mikael does to him right? He beat him senseless in the village center just before I left. Ayana had to practically drag me here. I feared he would get hurt again."

"I-I didn't realize it was that bad."

"Niklaus takes the brunt of it all. It's-its like Mikael knows he's not his." She said furrowing her brow.

"A man usually knows." He said sadly, deep in thought.

She sighed deeply. "Someday I hope you get the chance to speak with him. He's great you know?"

"Id love to know more about him?"

"I'll tell you everything future father-in-law." She teased.

-----

"Alexander is the best isn't he?" Rebekah whispered giddily as the girls layed in bed

"Second best."

"Second?" She scoffed "and who's the best?"

"Niklaus."

"Ugh barf. You wish. He also thinks i'm funny. None of the boys back home think i'm funny."

Elena smiled as she closed her eyes listening to her best friend go on and on about her night. She was happy for her and would make sure she had another opportunity to meet with Alexander but she couldn't stop thinking about her conversation with Ansel earlier that night. Klaus had spent his entire life being hated by Mikael. In the future it shaped him into the monster everyone thought him to be but would that all have been different if he knew his real father? If he knew he loved him and watched him from afar this whole time? She wished she knew what happenes to Ansel. Ugh Esther why didn't you prepare me for this?

The creeping anxiety slipped back in that she hadn't felt for a while. What was to come?