cuatro

January 3th, 1986.

Victoria was woken up by the phone.

As she groaned, she got up from bed with only one eye open. She tried fixing her hair as much as she could while she walked down the stairs, just in case someone saw her through the window, or had an intruder waiting for her with a gun in his hand.

Laney's room door was slightly open, but only darkness was seen. Her classes started early that day, and Victoria wanted to get the best of her alone time.

"Did I wake you up?"

A deep voice was heard through the phone when she picked it up and didn't say a thing. Victoria's eyes finally opened completely after a few seconds of realization about who called, letting out a quiet groan.

"No. Hey, Ray."

Victoria met Ray through Laney a few weeks after meeting the glam-metal band for the first time; even though they didn't click instantly, his carisma got the best of her. He kept her busy for an entire night, chatting while sitting in the corner of a random house that seemed to be rotting from the inside out.

That night, she was looking around for a shaggy black haired guy, unconsciously. She hoped to see him randomly leaning against a wall with a cigarette on his lips— she awaited for it the entire time he heard Ray speak like he was on a podcast. But he didn't show up, and she felt shame in what she was doing in the end. Victoria knew Ray deserved the attention, yet she couldn't keep herself concentrated.

Even after that awful first impression— presenting herself as an air-headed, tipsy, and painfully awkward girl, he still asked for her number. Asked to see her again.

"You're insufferable, you know that?" Laney spoke as soon as they walked through their loft's door that night.

Victoria rolled her eyes. "How am I insufferable? There was no connection!"

"Victoria." She sounded annoyed. "Ray is literally the sweetest guy I know, and I know half of the population here." Victoria tried to speak, and she quickly stopped her attempt. "He was genuinely interested in you! I could see that from half a mile away."

"I know! I know that, Laney, Jesus. You don't think I feel bad?" Laney shook her head. "I don't know. I just, I was distracted, I couldn't keep up with the conversation."

"Give him another try. If he calls, you go, wherever he asks." Victoria groaned, walking away from her. "I'm being serious, Vic. He might be the best thing that'll happen to you."

"I don't like being set up."
"Too fucking bad."
"Did you ask him to talk to me?"
"He asked to meet you."

Victoria looked back at her. Laney nodded— pleading eyes staring back at her.
She loved her roommate dearly, but couldn't stand the little romantic play dates she'd set up for her, since they were always haunting after a while.

Not this time. Victoria felt, after a few weeks, like she made a friend.

He called a couple times, they went out a couple more. Nothing happened, nothing worth talking about. There was a connection between the both of them in the end, and they felt affection towards each-other. Victoria grew tender towards him, getting used to the idea of Ray in her life.