Chapter 03: Marriage proposal

Hasna was being transported to a new prison in a car with two female officers and one male officer. As she stared out the window at the passing streets, a wave of regret washed over her. She had taken her freedom for granted, never appreciating the simple ability to move around as she pleased. Now, with her freedom stripped away, she realized just how blessed she had been. Despite facing execution, she felt an unexpected sense of gratitude for the few extra days she had been granted. She was thankful to witness the streets, the people, and the sky—even if only through the small car window. Gratitude filled her heart, mingling with the fear of what lay ahead.

Suddenly, the police jeep came to a halt. At first, Hasna thought nothing of it, assuming it was just a minor car issue. But moments later, one of the female officers instructed her to step out of the vehicle. As she obeyed, she noticed another car waiting nearby with three strangers inside. Unease crept into her as she realized the officers weren't getting out with her. Sensing her confusion, one of the officers explained, "These individuals will be taking you to the new prison."

Hasna's heart raced, but she remained silent, wary of what might happen if she questioned the situation too much. The strangers seemed impassive, their faces unreadable as they motioned for her to get into the car.

As the vehicle started moving, Hasna's eyes stayed glued to the streets, trying to memorize the route. An hour passed, and she began to feel increasingly uneasy. Something wasn't right. "This isn't the road to Chittagong. Where are you taking me?" she demanded, her voice betraying her rising panic.

The woman seated next to her turned around, her expression calm, almost too calm. "Don't worry," she said smoothly. "We're taking a detour. We have some paperwork to finish in another city before we head to the new prison."

But Hasna wasn't convinced. Her gut told her something was terribly wrong. She tried to stay calm, but the fear was gnawing at her, making her feel trapped and helpless. The uncertainty was unbearable. Where were they really taking her? And what would happen to her once they got there?

Suddenly, panic overtook her. Without thinking, she lunged for the door, trying to escape. But the female officer beside her reacted swiftly, grabbing Hasna's arm in a vice-like grip. "Let me go!" Hasna screeched, thrashing in a desperate attempt to break free. Then she felt a sharp sting in her neck. Her hand instinctively flew to the spot, but her vision was already blurring. The last thing she heard before darkness swallowed her was the officer's cold voice: "Don't worry. She won't be causing any more trouble."

When Hasna woke up, she found herself in a small, exquisitely decorated room with a plush bed and a soft comforter. The room was cozy, with a gentle breeze wafting through the open window. For a brief moment, she felt relief, allowing herself to enjoy the pleasant surroundings. But then the memories rushed back, and panic set in again.

She jumped off the bed and ran to the door, only to find it locked. Frantically, she rushed to the window, hoping for a way out, but was met with a breathtaking view of the sparkling sea. The waves crashed onto the shore below, mocking her with their freedom.

Hasna's heart pounded as the realization hit her—she was being held captive in this idyllic location. But why? And by whom? A thousand questions raced through her mind as she desperately searched the room for any means of escape.

Fear gripped her as dark thoughts flooded her mind. Was she here for some nefarious purpose? She screamed, "Why have you brought me here?" Her voice echoed through the room, but no answer came. She screamed again, "Why have you brought me here? I want to go back to prison! I want to go back!"

Silence. The only response was the mocking crash of the waves outside.

She tried to calm herself, breathing deeply as she surveyed the room again. Maybe this was a mistake. Maybe there was a reason she was brought here. But what?