Chapter 13

Kai                                ⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅I felt my wolf begin to snarl

Kai
⋅•⋅∘☽༓☾∘⋅•⋅
I felt my wolf begin to snarl. Both of us wanted to destroy everyone who came in contact with our mate. Father gestured to the eastern side of the territory, where dragons lived beyond our borders.
"Scouts have reported what looks like hoards of uniform dragons stationed just outside our walls. Although none of them have made a move, they are there like statues. We don't know what they want despite our attempts at communication so now our border wolves are requesting their next moves."

I looked at Ainsling, seeing her eyes widen, and cleared my throat.

"I think I know what they want." I looked at both of them, stepping away from the side to gesture to my mate who looked as though she wanted the floor to swallow her whole.

"Dr-dragons...th-they...me." I moved over to her side, wrapping an arm around her waist and pulling her to me, hearing the loud pounding of her heart, and then looking at my parents.

"Ainsling is a tribrid. The only one known in the world. And there are people after her, most likely, as she told me, the same ones that killed her parents. If they are the dragons, I don't know but I do know that there are people out there adamant about killing my mate because of her power. It explains her dominance."

Both my father and mother looked at her, eyes wide with disbelief and mouths open in shock, or at least my father were. My mother was looking at Ainsling with tears in her eyes, though I wondered why.

"It can't be. The last known tribrid was way before my great grandfather's time. How?"

I looked at Ainsling, giving her a squeeze of comfort considering I didn't know the answer to that myself.

"My mother was a witch, my father was-" She paused, and when I saw her look at my father, I could see fear in her gaze.

"My father, according to the man that attacked me in the library, was a trusted advisor who betrayed the throne and then went on to become an advisor to the Dragon throne. He died with my mother when people came after me. Both of them died protecting me and I've been on the run ever since."

Hearing her story, I could feel my wolf whining in sympathy, not liking the idea that our mate had been running all of her life. It explained how reluctant she was in the beginning to accept me.

I heard my father exhale and stare at Ainsling as though seeing a whole new person.

"Your last name is Moon?" I felt Ainsling nod reluctantly.

"You are Alpha Moore's daughter?" I watched as Mother put a hand to her mouth, eyes widening in disbelief.

I looked at both of them, clearly confused just as my mate was. "Alpha Moore was my advisor about 23 years ago until he betrayed the Royal Wolves and left, but we never knew where he ended up, only that he had found his mate not long before he left."

I had heard stories of my father's first advisor. With such gentle grace, he gave the advice of someone more worthy of being king than my father. Of course, despite these obvious insults towards him, my father loved his advisor like a brother, until his betrayal. To this day, my father has never fully trusted anyone else in such a way that he did his first advisor.

"You know my father?" I heard Ainsling speak and when I looked over at her, she looked to have wiped her face as though crying.

Giving a comfortable squeeze of my mate's waist, I looked up at my mother who was still crying.

She must have seen my confusion as to why she was also impacted by this information and shook her head, quickly wiping her own tears away.

"Alpha Moore was the leader of the second most powerful pack, now as large as our own but they are lost. Each of the leaders I have appointed for them has suffered from a strange illness that renders them unfit and weak. All of my advisors have never been able to fully take control of the pack. Now some come and go as they please, most of them have stayed but they are falling ill, unable to protect themselves without a capable leader to lead them."

Mother looked at Father and motioned to Ainsling.

"It may be because she is the rightful Alpha to them. The Moon Goddess must not want anyone else to lead the pack of the tribrid. Nothing else makes sense."

"So, I'm technically an alpha of some pack I didn't even know about!" I heard the shrill shock in Ainsling's voice as she spoke and as I moved to calm her, she looked at me with a gaze that froze me in my tracks.

"What is this pack and who is the current alpha?"
The words that came from Ainsling were not the usual pleasant aura that she is usually surrounded with.

It was the aura of an Alpha ready for a challenge.