Chapter 15

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅As the days progressed, I learned a little bit more about my new inherited pack

                               ⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅
As the days progressed, I learned a little bit more about my new inherited pack. Unfortunately, because of the rivalry between both my and Kai's pack, we couldn't officially group them together.

However, Kai let me decide if we wanted to get them to be joined once we got married. As I respectfully declined, I told him it wasn't my decision.

"They are rivals, Kai. We must let them decide. Imagine if we forced them to work together. Maybe eventually they will learn to trust each other. But they would feel insulted at how forced together they were by us. We would be the only ones to blame if things got bad."

Kai looked at me with something along the lines of admiration as I finished defending my pack. I knew that they belonged in their territory, rather than joining with others. It wouldn't be The Star Pack anymore.

I could tell that everyone was on edge when I wasn't out learning about my pack and its borders. Fights began to break out between random wolves, simply because someone had given the other an eye and that wolf decided it was a spy. We were all prepared for the news of the dragon's attack. The King had set up large troop forces along the borders, consisting of many wolves, some of them donated from other packs in order to earn credit where it was given.

The Queen had set up healers who were talented wolves, those born with enhanced abilities in addition to their own. Most of them were armed with weapons, some of them with traps, but nobody knew anything except that the dragons refused to move, but instead increased their numbers by at least half.

"We must figure out what they want. Our scouts have tried but they do not speak, merely stare. Whatever they are trying to do, they are doing it under cover. It has to be. Now that we know they might want Ainsling, we need to figure out our next moves."

Kai had been helping his father with preparations, even sending a quarter of his pack to help guard the borders. He himself had been training wolves from all over. I knew he was acting to protect me, but I didn't want him hurting other wolves' stamina by tiring them out before whatever it was had even started.

Until it did.

Bells began ringing one after another. I had been in the fields in wolf form having just come back from a hunt. I heard the sound of howls followed by roaring and knew that the day we had all dreaded had finally arrived.

Hearing the sound of roars, my own dragon wanted out, to fly free with her own pack and to defeat the wolves. While on the other hand, my wolf struggled to go find our mate, wanting to know if he was safe.

It took many breaths for me to contain both animals. When I finally was able to move properly without being harassed for control, I bolted towards the servants' entryway.

Having been there before, I ran straight through the open doors, past the scared servants, and up the stairs.

"Kai," I shouted into the mind link, trying to locate him.