Chapter 29

It was the wrong time. The wrong place to confess such sweet words, and yet she had been longing for someone to say them to her just the same.

"I love you too," she whispered shyly.

"Now, quickly to the stables." He planted a gentle kiss on her forehead with his long muzzle and without waiting for a reply dashed back into the castle.

"Be careful!' she hollered to his broad furred back.

Isabelle watched him till she could no longer see the dark shadow of his outline as he slipped back into the castle's doors.

A window shattered on the second story as flames licked out hungrily creeping up the wood trim to the shingles roof. Though the tiles were clay the fire ate away at the wood bracing underneath.

Isabelle's body trembled with exhaustion, and nervous her as she trotted to the barn. Trying to convince herself that Rosie and Adam would be alright.

When she arrived the stable was cold and empty. The stalls opened and the lamps snuffed out. Someone had got to them first.

"Isabelle!" She turned at John's voice, he ran to her pulling her in a big hug.

"Looks like someone let those beasts out. Damn, thought we had them there, those blood suckers just won't die. Just glad you're okay. Anna told me you went to grab some belongings."

Isabelle bit her lip at the comment. She may have saved lives but she knew she had just damned more with her actions. With the beasts still in power the cycle would continue. The only thing left to do was run, which would explain all the people making for the wall, with satchels.

"I went to get Rosie. Gaston took her though and Adam just ran back inside to find her." She said instead. "Do you know where Anna is?"

John looked confused for a second.

"Anna is with Rosie by the cart, getting ready to head out. We were going to head down to the wall and meet you there."

"What? She has Rosie...How? Where is Anna?" No wait, do you know where Phillipe, Adam's horse is?" So many questions spun in her mind.

"We have him by the cart. Feisty boy, but Anna said you would be needing him."

"Adam's still in the castle! He's looking for Rosie." She took a step forward only to falter, her legs giving way as her knees hit the stone floor of the stables.

"Isabelle? Are you alright? I'm sure that beast will be fine" The way John addressed him made her skin prickle.

"I'm fine." She pushed his hand away trying to rise to her feet herself only to falter. Exhaustion finally seeping into her body as the worry she'd been holding seemed to melt with the strength in her limbs.

"You look like death warmed over. I'm taking you to Anna." John scooped her up into his arms, carrying her out of the barn and over to where Anna was, watching the fire grow from her safe distance about a quarter furlong away.

Phillipe was hitched to the open faced cart piled high with goods and a brown cow, the one she'd milked many times, tied to the back.

John placed Isabelle on the back of the cart on one of the wooden crates. "Isabelle!" Her eyes widened slightly. "I see the glamour didn't last."

A ramble of squeaks came from behind her as Rosie, her friend and companion scurried from the front of the cart hoping over crates and dried produce up onto Isabelle's shoulder.

"Oh hush, she's fine isn't she?" Anna snapped.

"I didn't say anything." And that's when Isabelle realized Anna was talking to the mouse, not her. And in that same moment she realized she could no longer hear her friend Rosie speak. The magic had worn off, but somehow, Anna could. Rosie placed a small paw on her cheek, squeaking furiously.