ℂ𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝟛: 𝕋𝕙𝕖 𝕔𝕙𝕒𝕣𝕚𝕠𝕥 𝕨𝕙𝕖𝕖𝕝

Arjun's pov

That evening, news reached them that Duryodhan had accused Bhisma of going back on his promise of defeating the Pandavas and had asked him to relinquish his hold on the post of commander so that the King of Anga Karna could fight. Bhisma had apparently sworn he would unleash havoc the next day.

"It is beyond my comprehension that the King of Anga refuses to fight on his friend's side as long as His Excellency Bhisma is fighting," said Satyaki.

"The concept of I, Ego, does strange things to people," said Arjun.

Madhav winked at him.

"Indeed," he said, "but we can discuss the King of Anga's concept of himself later. Firstly, what are you going to do about Bhisma, Parth?"

Arjun frowned.

"What do I need to do about Pitamah?"

"It is high time you put him out of action. Our army cannot keep getting slaughtered every day because their commander, the best of the best, is alive and kicking."

"He is the best of the best," said Arjun defensively. "I have fought to keep him at bay almost everyday."

"The time to keep him at bay is past, Parth."

"He has the boon of death at will!" Arjun clung to that bit of hope inside him.

"So you have to put him out of action. Injure him so severely he has to pull out of the war."

Arjun's mouth went dry.

"Remember why we are fighting this war, my friend," said Madhav in a whisper that chilled Arjun. "Remember what I showed you the first day of the war when you face Bhisma tomorrow. Can you give me your word, Parth?"

"Madhav, not--not Pitamah--"

"Your word, Parth."

When Madhav looked with such deadly seriousness into his eyes, Arjun felt almost paralyzed, unable to think.

"All right," Arjun heard himself say. "All right."

***

It soon turned out the worst day of battle of them. Arjun attacked Pitamah with as much venom as he could manage--easily the most in all nine days; after an initial smile and nod, Pitamah did the same. Drishtadyumna and Bheem were nearby in the cluster, leading the clash of the two armies. Bhisma managed to hold Arjun off and kill hundreds of their army, too. But for Arjun, no one existed on the field but himself and Pitamah.

As sundown neared, both of them were covered in blood. Arjun wondered if Pitamah's heart was bleeding as much as his, too. It must be.

It was the hardest, cruelest thing he had ever had to do--hurting Pitamah.

He would never have done it without Madhav's urging. When the day was almost over, both Arjun and Bhisma were drained with blood loss; the latter was still firing arrows blazing at his opponents.

"The sun is about to set, Parth," said Madhav unexpectedly. "What are you doing?"

"What do you mean?" asked Arjun.

He dared not take his eyes off his opponent.

"You were supposed to put him out of action today," said Madhav frostily.

"I am trying to--"

"YOU ARE HOLDING YOURSELF BACK, PARTH," roared Madhav.

"No, I'm--I am not," said Arjun, believing it to be the truth. "Pitamah is too good for--"