Chapter 1: The Sallow Suspense

Author's Note: The Undercroft Gauntlet is a slow burn (for a fanfic), slice-of-life story that endeavors to be lore accurate within the Wizarding World. It features a male MC x Ominis Gaunt relationship, but multiple different arcs develop and playout through the narrative. It is a direct sequel to Hogwarts Legacy, so the contextual knowledge from that game is useful to understanding many of the characters and plot points. Additionally, please understand that The Undercroft Gauntlet is far more grounded in realism. The powers and abilities found in HL's gameplay do not translate.

 That said, I hope you enjoy =)

―――――――――

The gate firmly locked behind Talen Crayor and a high-pitched click reverberated against the walls. He stepped into the chamber with slow, even steps and his chin held high: he had completed his second day of his final year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Talen felt untouchable.

In the flickering shadows of the enchanted torches dangling from the ceiling, the Undercroft smelled of dust, dampness, and secrets. The rows of marble pillars had cracks wrapping around their columns, and the corners of the chamber were filled with items that Talen could only classify as junk.

Leaning against the wall next to a tapestry of a green countryside was Ominis Gaunt, his arms crossed in front of him. Beneath milky eyes, he adorned the same green-crested school robe that Talen wore. Underneath the robe, however, the quality of fabrics in Ominis' suit made Talen's attire seem second-hand. In contrast to Ominis' neatly combed blonde hair, Talen's shaved scalp ― riddled with tiny scars at the curves ― only gave the impression of a memory of his once walnut-colored curls.

"I got your message," Talen said as he approached.

Ominis stirred, then spoke with each syllable pointed and poised, "Tal, thanks for seeing me."

Talen smirked, "Ominis, you don't have to thank me every time we see each other."

"It's polite."

"It's overly formal."

"It's how I was raised," Ominis argued.

Talen nudged Ominis gently with his elbow, "that's not a reason."

"It's a quality habit that sets a standard," Ominis continued calmly. "And I don't lower my standards for those of different classes."

Talen leaned against the wall beside Ominis, immediately feeling the chill of the stone seep through his clothes. He huffed sardonically, "so, what did you want to tell me? You sounded excited in your note."

"And now I don't?" Ominis asked flatly.

"I won't even justify that with a response."

A slight smile curved on Ominis' lips, "well, I am excited. Very excited. Anxious, really."

"What's going on?"

"I would have told you sooner," Ominis started, his head bobbing, "but it all happened so fast. I only found out this morning myself. I got a note from Anne."

Talen gasped, "from Anne?"

"Yes, and― and―" Ominis paused, his smile growing as he tripped over his words. Talen could nearly hear Ominis' heart beating in his chest. "Sebastian has been released from Azkaban. He's coming back to Hogwarts!"

"What!?" Talen squealed. He leapt from the wall and paced in a small circle, running his fingers through his hair. "When will he be here? How long ago was he released― and how? Ominis, this is so great! I can't believe it!"

Ominis laughed, his head bobbing deeper, "he'll be here on Halloween! In time for the Goblet of Fire ceremony. My grandfather's efforts paid off! Finally."