Part 1: Kicking Pebbles

Grandma says it's always good to bring chocolate to temple. Every Thursday, the older woman holds the young girl's hand as they journey from school to temple. It's one of those journeys that edge the child to the point of being almost out of her patience minutes as they move from the bus to a train and then walk to temple. Most people decide to go on Saturdays. These two prefer Thursdays because it's quieter. Grandma likes when things are quiet. And, things are rarely quiet in Lux.

The large city seems to span forever in the girl's eyes. There are always loud buses and cars zooming around. She sometimes looks at picture books and wonders what it would be like to live in the country. To not have so many people around, so many buildings. At least her school has a little bit of land beside it. And, temple has plenty of space to wander even if she has to climb the stairs.

Big brown eyes blink in wonderment at the tall stone staircase that has grown into the hill. Bits of stone have fallen from the edges after years of wear, and small curves in the stone show where most people have traveled up the staircase. A horn sounds behind the young girl and her grandma. Then, the sounds seem to fade as they climb each step.

A breeze blows through, causing large blooms from the trees to sail like wind ships around her. Sometimes the girl likes to believe fairies are on them. Just like, sometimes, she thinks the birds understand her when she speaks to them.

A soft squeeze causes the girl to look up into her grandma's hazel eyes. "Now, I want you to stay close to me, okay?"

"Yes, Grandma," the girl nods.

"I mean it this time, Lucilla," Grandma says with a tone that makes the girl gulp. "Anything beyond two statues is too far."

Lucilla nods as they continue up the stairs. "I promise. I won't be like Daddy and give you a heart attack because I don't listen."

Grandma snorts at the child, stopping at the top of the stairs. She reaches into her purse and retrieves a small chocolate wrapped in paper. "Here, you can have it as a snack if you want. Now, remember to be respectful and don't go too far."

Lucilla nods while letting Grandma walk before her. She knows Grandma likes some time alone here. Once, Lucilla saw her at one statue—she forgot the god's name—crying—big tears. Ms. Anya says it's good to have emotions and that crying is okay. So, Lucilla sat down two statues away to give Grandma her time. When she told Daddy later, he said she missed Grandpa.

Her brown eyes scan the white statues. The women and men tower over her; some hold weapons like spears, lances, or swords while looking far away. Others keep a hand on their robes while plants or animals hang out around them. Still looking far away in the distance or with downcast eyes. None seem to be looking at her or anyone else. Lucilla sometimes sat with them while eating her candy because they had no choice but to listen to her babble about herself, her day, or anything else. Once, she just sat down beside the one guy with a sword and told him about the cat she saw in a tree.

Lucilla looks up to see Grandma stop at a different statue today. This one is a woman looking down while holding flowers. She watches Grandma retrieve a few coins from her purse and drop them into a box before kneeling. Lucilla bites her lip while trying to remember the goddess's name; maybe it is Floria?

"I'm never going to get it," she mutters, stomping away.

There are just too many for her to remember. Grandma sometimes will walk her through the temple pathways and tell her stories. She just can't seem to remember all of them. Well, she knows that scary guy is Hades.

Her brown eyes dart up to count the statues. Four. Fart. She marches back with her head down, kicking pebbles as she goes. The outside of her shoes pings one towards the right, and then she hears a bad noise. Like something broke.