Part 10: All the goddesses

Gene holds her daughter's hand tightly, listening to the monitor. She falls asleep quickly these days. Doctors, nurses, and therapists filter through the door to check. Sometimes Kit is ready to go; other times, she isn't. No matter, the poison still drips. The tumor still wrecks her. Her beautiful hair is gone. Small tufts of hair poking out in random places. A scar down the center of her head from where they tried to remove everything and thought they did. Until the next MRI showed, it was back. Now, they are trying chemo—and she's so weak. And—

A ball tightens in Gene's chest, and then, peace. The woman smirks and almost scoffs at the feelings. Kit would say Psyche did it, pointing incessantly at a printed picture of the goddess on a communication board her speech therapist left in the room.

"Sigh," Kit would whisper. "Sigh-ee."

"Psyche." Gene would have to inform the new ones who came through the door.

The woman's tired eyes transition to the glowing golden eyes of the robot behind her daughter's bed. Perhaps it wouldn't hurt to talk to that thing. After all, it could be true.

"Psyche," Gene whispers. "You better be taking care of her dreams."

Nothing happens.

"Kit believes, and that's good enough for me. I want her to be happy. I want her to feel calm and—"Gene's voice breaks as tears form in the corner of her eyes. "I just want her. I want my baby girl."

Sobs shake the woman's body, and she looks at her daughter in fear. Kit can't see her likes this. So, Gene quickly gathers herself in a tight hug and leaves to stand in the hall. One of the nurses would be there to hug her. See if Gene finally wants to speak to someone. Maybe today Gene would agree. After all, she just pleaded with a robot.

A soft click sounds as the door closes behind Gene. Psyche materializes in the room beside the chair Gene just sat in. She walks over and places a hand on Kit. The girl moves slightly in her bed before smiling. Psyche provides joy and calmness within the girl's spirit before sitting down.

Six months, Psyche whispers to Kit. We've been here for six months. And I still won't leave.

Kit murmurs something, and Psyche smiles.

They're doing well. Everyone misses you, but they're practicing their dances. I know you're going to love it.

Kit's eyes flutter slightly open. She sees the glittering outline and smiles.

"Sigh-ee," she whispers.

Psyche leans forward and places one hand on her arm. The two just sit for a few moments, then Psyche leans back.

Lucilla wants me to tell you she has made peace with Aphrodite's girls at school.

Kit smiles at this. Her mouth moves. Psyche waits patiently, watching her closely.

No, no one got in trouble. Kai didn't even have to marry anyone.

Kit giggles at this. She makes a kissy face, and Psyche laughs.

I'm not telling Lucilla that!

Kit yawns, making Psyche pause, considering the young girl. Then, Psyche moves her arm in a large arc, causing green spirals of light to fill the room. Kit giggles in her bed.

The green spirals expand to form little universes. Then, shooting stars fly through them, sending tiny glittering sparks onto Kit. The young girl turns one of her palms over to catch the spark. She clutches it and closes her eyes. Psyche watches her mouth moving and smiles. Kit opens her eyes to stare at Psyche.