Part 11: Compromise

Psyche's breath comes out in small pants. The pain in the room reverberates off the walls, suffocating her.

Gene cries over her daughter's body. Kit's older brother stands to the side. Damian's blonde hair falls forward to cover his eyes as he holds his sister's hands with silent tears falling down. Kit's father, a man no taller than 5'10, stands steady behind the two. He has a hand on each shoulder, squeezing rhythmically while staring through the wall before him. Each one mourns. Each one is different.

The goddess closes her eyes on the scene, quickly passing through each child's toy. Finding solace in knowing that others sleep easily during the early morning hours. Dawn would be breaking soon.

"I can't tell them yet," Psyche whispers, opening her eyes.

Bright golden threads shoot out of Kit's lifeless body on the bed. The golden lines thicken and spin above her like a flower bud before falling open. The golden threads widen, and suction cups appear on them. The octopus-like legs pulse to move in the room, latching onto objects. They pulsate, loosening and tensing around the things for a few moments before Kit's spirit lifts from her body. Her blonde hair sways slightly while exiting her body, causing sparkles to flutter on top of her grieving mother.

Gene's voice hitches, and her sobs seem to ease momentarily. She hugs her daughter's body tightly.

"You fought so hard. I'm so proud of you," Gene whispers.

Kit's spirit sits up and blinks its eyes. The ghost smiles at Gene and rests a hand on her head.

"I'm okay," Kit's spirit whispers. "You always have me with you." She touches the cords that connect her to her family with a soft smile. "Psyche, will she be okay?"

Psyche nods. "Yes, with time." The goddess walks over to Kit, extending her hand. The girl takes it and steps off a slab that neither can see, but both seem aware of its existence. "I will watch over them like you asked me to."

Kit wraps her arms around Psyche, hugging her tightly. "Thank you," she whispers. "What about my friends? Will they be okay?"

Psyche nods as they walk through the closed door, leaving the pulsing golden legs to rest with her body. The hallway is busy with staff walking past. A nurse stands outside whispering with the medical staff.

"I've already started some of the paperwork," the nurse says as Psyche and Kit's spirit walk past her. "We don't need to make this even more difficult for them. Has anyone—"

The goddess guides Kit away with a steady hand. They keep walking in silence through the hall towards the elevator.

"Usually, I would float away. But, I don't want to scare you," Psyche comments.

Kit shrugs. "Knowing you is why I'm not scared right now."

Psyche stops and turns to the blonde girl. She kneels down and brings her into a tight hug. Kit returns the pressure, closing her eyes tightly. A wave of peace washes over them and through the hall.

Nurses walking past seem to slow their pace. A mother's pacing outside of room 1232 stops.

Kit opens her eyes. Three rooms down, she sees a boy with brown hair walk through the closed door of a room. She could tell from the slight sparkle of his skin that he wasn't with the living anymore.

The boy's hands clap together in front of a red and blue pajama set he has on. His dark brown hair covers his eyes as he stares at the floor. Kit watches as his shoulders begin to shake.

"Psyche," Kit whispers. "Look."

Psyche releases Kit and turns to see the boy. She sighs deeply before rising to her feet.