01| one last time

MARIE

I stared as the carried the black shiny coffin away. We should have cut my birthday cake together like every year, sharing it amongst us , I'd have made his favorite barbeque chicken. It didn't happen this time. This time, he was quite, as white as snow and he laid lifeless in that coffin they carried away. I stumbled away from my seat and ran after them. They couldn't just take him away from me. They had no right to.

I struggled to run on my black stilettos. Mum insisted I looked like his princess one more time. I was always his princess, his love. He was my only love.

" Dad!," I tripped and fell right in the middle of the chapel. My tied up black long hair loosened from the band and cascaded down my face as I sobbed loudly. I didn't care if the reporters were taking pictures. I didn't care if I had snot coming out of my nose. I didn't care if they were even there.

" Dad, please," I cried harder. I felt two large hands on my shoulders. I looked up into his grey eyes, his brown curls, slightly graying combed back. His eyes were glossy, they were hollow. I felt he understood me.

" Balthazar, he left me, dad left me." He crouched down and held me to his chest. I sobbed loudly. My body shook terribly, my lips quivered.

" Everything will be fine, Marie. He's looking over us now, he's at peace, and he's no longer suffering," the emptiness in his voice, his voice was broken beyond repair. He kept his tears at bay, hiding them. He was his life partner, his partner in crime, his best friend. Someone he adored. Their friendship was far from this earth, it was a bond of the soul. He had lost his soulmate.

" He can't just leave me," I sobbed. He caressed my hair, tilting my head back to look into my eyes.

" He's always here, Alonso is always here, butterfly." I nodded and crashed my face back to his chest, inhaling his familiar rose scent. He caressed my hair, soothingly, like always.

" I'll miss him," I whispered once I calmed down. He helped me back on my feet and placed a fatherly kiss on my forehead.

" We all will." He forced a smile. I couldn't give one back. I watched as they left.

I felt a familiar warmth around my waist. Logan pulled me to his body. I placed my head on his shoulder.

I needed him now more than anything.

My mother joined us, she didn't have makeup on for the first time, her similar hazel eyes. They were sad and empty. My mother had her flaws, one being that she always loved the luxury but there was not a day she went against my father. She loved him just as much as he loved her.

She pulled the black lace and tied it carefully around her shoulders and slipped on her sunglasses.

" We'll get through this Marie, trust me." Logan assured. I reached my hand out and brought him down for a kiss. I returned to placing my head on his shoulders.

He was gone,

He had left,

My dearest father had left all the suffering and pain.

Balthazar was right. He had gone to a better place.