Chapter Seven: JAKE

"Jake!" Charlie slammed his hand against the divider in the visitor's booth as his friend walked away.

"Stop!" He yelled, the sounds of his banging echoed through the complex. Jake didn't even turn around as he heard the blonde kick and scream at the guards trying to escort him out. Key word being trying.

"Jake you can't be serious?!" Charlie barged past another visitor booth, following him from the other side as he made his way to the door. Finally, Jake met his gaze, his look speaking more than he'd said in the whole visit, in which Charlie had been rambling non-stop about the plans for the Rebellion.

Go away.

The way Charlie stopped, the way his lanky frame sagged and fiery eyes dulled a little, was enough to rattle Jake's decision. Sow that seed of doubt: did he really want his closest friend to give up on him like everyone else?

It almost worked. Perhaps if Jake had have stayed a second longer it might have. But no, he opened the door, the guard knowing force wasn't necessary, and made his way back to his cell. It almost hurt more to not hear Charlie's fading shouts of protest that always begged him to stay, because that meant he believed. He believed Jake had given up, and now he'd given up on him.

The cell bars rattled shut behind him, his bunkmate occupied with a conjugal visit. The idea of a shower in the grotty, slimy blocks seemed almost attractive against the growing mould patches in the corner and creaking metal bed.

"Your friend seems nice." The guard said dryly. Jake didn't give him the pleasure of so much as a look. In the past three years he'd realised it was a fifty-fifty chance of getting a respectful guard or one like this guy.

"He looked like he should be in here with you." He said. Jake simply stayed with his back towards him.

Two days. He told himself. Two days and he could sleep on a comfortable bed. Two days and he could hug the people he cared about and never have to think about the disgusting things that went on in Blackmoore Penitentiary. Two days.

He could do two days. Maybe.