XXI

The White Demon Fox

The team finally arrived at Tazuna's house, gently placing Kakashi on a futon inside. "We should let him rest for a while," Tsunami, Tazuna's daughter, advised. The group nodded in agreement and began to make their way out of the room. Once outside, Sakura turned her attention to Sasuke, her eyes sparkling with a mixture of curiosity and admiration. "Sasuke, what are you planning to do after this? Are you perhaps free this afternoon?" she inquired, her gaze focused on him expectantly.

 "Sasuke, what are you planning to do after this? Are you perhaps free this afternoon?" she inquired, her gaze focused on him expectantly

"Hm?" Sasuke, who had been looking at Naomi, turned his gaze towards Sakura in response to her question. The eye contact between them caused Sakura's cheeks to turn as pink as her hair, and she stumbled over her words in her nervousness. While Sasuke continued to look at her silently, waiting for her to repeat herself, Naomi's voice rang out, capturing his attention. "Sasuke," she called, her voice like a gentle melody that drew him in.

Responding to her call, Sasuke turned towards Naomi, his focus shifting from Sakura. However, Sakura wasn't ready to give up just yet. She reached out and grabbed his sleeve, stopping him in his tracks. "Wait!" she blurted out, her urgency evident. Sasuke looked at her expectantly, waiting for her to explain. "Um... let's walk around the village... maybe we could have lunch together," she suggested, her face turned downwards as she struggled to hide her embarrassment.

Unintentionally, Naomi overheard Sakura's proposal to Sasuke. Feeling considerate, she chimed in, her warm smile directed at Sasuke. "You should go with her, Sasuke. Don't worry about me," she said with genuine kindness. Sasuke was taken aback by her suggestion, his confusion mingling with a sense of disappointment. He had been hoping for some time alone with Naomi.

"You've been staring. You always do that when you're worried," Naomi said with a gentle smile, her perceptive eyes catching Sasuke's concern. "So, yeah, I'm saying that it's okay to spend time with Sakura. I'm fine... really." Her reassurance was heartfelt, but it only seemed to deepen Sasuke's frown.

"You're fine, I can see that. But what about me?" Sasuke retorted, his irritation evident in his expression. Naomi was taken aback by his response. "What?" she started to ask, but Sasuke didn't give her a chance to continue. He abruptly turned away from her, opting to walk alongside Sakura instead. "C'mon," he called to Sakura, and with a pleased smile, she hastened her steps to join him. Left alone and bewildered, Naomi watched them walk away.

 Left alone and bewildered, Naomi watched them walk away