XXVI

The Betrayal.

*trigger warning*
A mention of suicide

The sun had once again awakened as morning arrived. The squad decided to let Naomi rest a little longer while they prepared breakfast before continuing their journey. After Naruto and Sasuke successfully caught some fish, they gave it to Sakura and Kakashi to cook for breakfast. "Naomi, wake up," Sakura whispered while gently shaking Naomi's body. 

However, Naomi was not responding; she was still in a deep slumber. "Naomi, come on! Breakfast is ready. You need to wake up!" Sakura shook her a bit harder. After a while of not getting any response from her, Sakura started to grow more and more worried. Why wasn't she waking up? Sakura thought to herself.

Noticing that the girls hadn't come out of their tent yet, Kakashi's attention was caught, and he started to approach them. Kakashi stopped just in front of the tent. "Everything okay?" he asked. Sakura immediately emerged from the tent, looking as if she had just seen a ghost. "Sensei! I... she... Naomi..." Sakura stammered in panic.

"Calm down, Sakura. What is it?" Kakashi grabbed both of Sakura's arms to help soothe her, staring directly into her eyes, trying to figure out what was happening. "Naomi... she's not waking up!" Sakura said, her voice full of hysteria.

"She's what?" Naruto said as he approached the group, with Sasuke following just behind him. Naruto was holding a roasted fish for his precious sister. Sasuke quickly observed the situation, then immediately entered the tent without waiting for Sakura's response. Sakura looked at Sasuke before glancing back at Naruto, sadness evident in her eyes. She then shook her head. "I... I tried to wake her up, but she's not responding!" Naruto's body began to shake. He dropped the fish and hurriedly entered the tent.

asuke was already holding Naomi close to him, his expression calm and steady as he maintained his gaze on the girl

asuke was already holding Naomi close to him, his expression calm and steady as he maintained his gaze on the girl. Naruto bent down and gently caressed her cheek. "I'll carry her," he said with a somber expression. Sasuke shook his head, his determination to hold onto Naomi evident.

 "It's alright, I can carry her," Sasuke insisted, keeping her body secure against him. Naruto's eyes locked onto Sasuke, his brow furrowing. 

"Stop being stubborn. You're still injured from the fight with Haku. Take care of yourself before helping others," Naruto advised. 

Sasuke held Naomi even closer. "I'll be fine as long as she's with me," he insisted. Naruto sighed, conceding.  "Fine, but you better not drop her," he warned, narrowing his eyes as he pointed at Sasuke. The boys finally exited the tent, with Sasuke carrying the sleeping Naomi.

"Oh Kami, she's still not awake?" Sakura's eyes were fixed on Naomi, her worry evident on her face. Kakashi approached them to assess Naomi's condition.  "I suppose she overused her power. Her body might not be accustomed to it yet, so the sudden overwhelming usage of power exhausted her to her limit," he explained calmly to the young ninjas.