'Bout Kids Who Don't Know Me

Guy Germaine was turning into a jerk

It was strange to watch him slowly become a jerk, but the weird thing is, it wasn't even to me or the other players. It was towards Adam.

I wasn't too sure where Guy's sudden attitude was coming from, but it was starting to get annoying.

I was hanging out with Adam, and he was expressing his concerns to me.

"I don't think Germaine likes me." He said. "Like earlier for example, he walked by me and he jumped into the puddle that was right in front of me, and got me soaked."

It was hard to argue with him, because Guy had given no indication that he was happy Adam was on the team. Everyone else was slowly came around, but Guy and Jesse could not seem to stand him.

"Guy's normally very sweet." I said, watching as Adam wiped the muddy water off his face. "I don't know what's gotten into him."

Adam scoffed and said, "I do."

I glanced at Adam in confusion. How could Adam know what's gotten into him?

"He's jealous."

"Jealous?" I repeated. "Of what?"

"Us." The boy responded.

I tilted my head, baffled by what Adam was saying.

Why would Guy be jealous of Adam and I? Guy knew he was still my best friend, so why was he jealous of mine and Adam's friendship?

I shook my head, deciding not to dwell on it anymore.

{}~{}~{}~{}

Guy Germaine was good at calming my nerves.

The game was going good, and Guy apparently wanted to talk to me again.

"What a game so far, ladies and gentlemen! The Ducks and the Cardinals! Cardinals with it in their own zone, trying to clear it out. Pass to the blue line, intercepted by the Ducks. Here's their star, Adam Banks. Banks has great speed. Right down the middle! Banks passes to Allison Moreau. Moreau goes around one man with a great move! Steps around another defender! Moreau shots, she scores!"

I threw my hands up, and Adam hugged me as we cheered. Adam smacked my helmet as Jesse and Averman congratulated me as well.

Banks took the face off, winning the puck, and skated around with it. He skated around the goal, and was knocked down by four players. He passed it to Jesse, who took it, passing it to Averman. Averman passed it to Adam, who passed it to Guy.

"Germaine put it off the goaltender's glove into the net! And that does it! The Ducks have won! Can you believe it? 4-2, and the Ducks now get set to face the Hawks in the state finals."

We all skated over to the box and cheered happily. I listened to the crowd as they started chanting 'We Will Rock You' but instead of saying 'Rock' they said 'Quack'.

We all made it to the locker room, where we cheered excitedly. We shook coke cans and opened them, letting them explode. At the moment, I didn't even care about the sticky mess my hair was going to be.

Lewis grabbed the cooler, and dumped the ice water on Bombay's head. He gasped in shock, but his smile never faded.

{]~{}~{]~{}

Guy Germaine was once again ignoring me.

I wasn't too sure what his issue was, and I was about to find out.

"Guy," I said, trying to gain the boys attention. "Guy. Guy!"

"What?" He snapped.

"What is your problem?" I demanded.

Guy sighed, rolling his eyes slightly as he turned back around.

Oh hell no.

I reached forward, grabbing Guy by his shirt sleeve. I yanked him around, feeling livid. "What the hell has gotten into you? You've been nothing but a jerk ever since Adam joined."

Guy didn't answer, instead turning his back to me. "Look, Allie, I'm kind of busy. Why don't you go cry to Adam?"

I looked at Guy, stunned. What was his problem? "I don't understand why you're so upset. I've just befriended the new player."

Guy didn't answer. Instead, he bent down, yanked my shoes off, and shoved my skates of and tied the laces. Once he was done, he stormed out of the locker room.

I shook my head, baffled. Sighing, I followed Guy to the ice.

Once I got there, I stood in line between Adam and Fulton, clutching my hockey stick nervously.

We were finishing up the National Anthem, and once it finished, we skated to the bench. We did our chant, and when Adam went to step on the ice, Jesse stopped him.

"Hey, Banks!" When Adam turned, Jesse snarked, "Don't forget what side your on."

"He's a Duck, Jesse." I snapped before Bombay could say anything. "He'll play like a Duck."

Adam took face off, and I watched as McGill and Larson teamed up and knocked him down. The Hawks had the puck and were skating towards Goldberg. Guy ended up flipping a Hawk over and I took the puck and skated down the ice. I tried to score but it got stopped and soon the Hawks had the puck again.

I groaned, and skated after McGill. I stole the puck, but I didn't even make it halfway down the ice before I was flipped over. We all fought for the puck as the Hawks had possession over it once again. Adam got the puck again and skated down towards the Hawk goalie.

"Banks, two coming hard!" Charlie shouted.

Adam passed the puck to me as McGill and Larson checked him against the boards. I was checked once again, and as soon as I was down the Hawks scored against Goldberg. The Hawks once again had the puck and Guy bashed into a Hawk and skated after the puck. Guy got it and skated down the ice but once he got close to the goal, he was knocked down.

The Hawks had the puck once again and they passed it around faking Goldberg out leaving an open net letting McGill score.

HAWKS   DUCKS

2           0

A Hawk player tried to score on Goldberg but he blocked it. Guy had the puck and skated down the ice again but got knocked down. We kept getting knocked down, Adam and I most of all. Jesse ended up stealing the puck from them but McGill got it back and scored.

HAWKS  DUCKS

3          0 ​

"Don't be scared of them Ducks," Coach told us. "That's what they want. Keep your heads up, play proud, lets fly!"

I glanced over at the Hawk bench, and saw Reilly say something to Larson, Brown, King and McGill, glancing between Adam and I after he said it.

I got back out on the ice, and glared at McGill. I got the puck, and skated down the ice, with Adam right beside me. We passed the puck back and forth between each other, before I felt a hand shove my back and my skate being yanked from beneath me.

I remember hitting the back of my helmet against the goal post, and then two bodies smashing me against the wall, before everything went black.