32 - Lemony

The church was older with stained glass windows and ornate pillars. It smelled of fragrant flowers. Once they sat in a pew, Olivia leaned in. "It's beautiful."

Max supposed so, for a church. He looked around without turning his head too much. He recognized a few faces. There was some rustling behind them and he felt a tap on his shoulder. He turned to see two girls from his med school class. They had been roommates, and he had blown off stress with one under the covers.

It was a mistake to bring Olivia. She predicted it. He gave a half smile and turned forward. Olivia linked her hand in his. It shouldn't feel so good to hold hands but it did. It felt very good to kiss her. Dancing at the birthday party had woken up his desire for her. He felt things beyond jealousy, so he distanced himself. Like a record on loop, by the time the night was over he had made her sad. Somehow he needed to change the record. He didn't want to pile on more emotion when she was juggling the confusion about her father. It was up to him to give her a night to cherish. He set a tall task as she dabbed her eyes during the vows of strangers. Max didn't want to think about sitting in a seat with Olivia dressed in white.

Following the ceremony, they returned to the car to drive to the reception. The function hall was even more ornate than the church. Guests mingled around trays of charcuterie and cheese boards along with an open bar. Max hadn't planned to start with a drink, but he needed to relax. Olivia stayed by his side as they waited in line.

Curiosity got the best of him, so he asked what her father's house was like. In his mind, his uncle was her father who would one day walk her down the aisle.

She smiled. "Charles's house. He doesn't go by Chip anymore. It was a beautiful paradise with a large patio overlooking the sea."

"The sea. You mean the Mediterranean."

"Yes. I only saw part of the first floor. We never got a tour."

"He lives there alone?"

She nodded hesitantly. "Unless the help live in. I don't think they do. Although they may now."

He gave her a squeeze bringing her flush against his side. "And you swam."

Her face lit up. "Every morning. Only once at his house. It was weird. I'm glad we didn't stay with him. We never shared a meal."

"He probably wasn't eating much even then."

"I never thought of that. You're so smart."

"I know a thing or two." They both laughed as they stepped up to the bar Olivia stepped aside. He ordered their drinks. When he handed a glass to her. They clinked.

"To weddings," she said.

"To the happy couple." He refocused her toast.

"Max."

He turned to see some friends approaching. "Hey. What's new?"

Thankfully, they were men so Olivia didn't need to feel uncomfortable. Each updated him on where they were practicing. Both had been matched for their residencies away from Yale.

"What about you?" Jack asked.

"I'm almost done with my pediatric surgery fellowship. I'm heading to Boston."

"Where?" Seth asked.

"Still waiting on one more decision."

Olivia turned her head. "Did you get an offer?"

He bit his lip as he nodded. "My third choice. I'm still waiting on Mass General."

Jack smiled. "I'm with the physician group at Emerson Hospital."