Chapter 5. School?

Chapter 5. School?

We all walk down the street with stores lining up and down. They all halt in front of a clothing stone and there are beautiful hats in the window. "That one would look stunning on you Tayse." Kai speaks timidly. "You think?" He responds excitedly. "Yeah, you would look stunning." I say now noticing my hand had slipped into Gio's. And before anyone could say anything else the window was smashed and the hat was grabbed by Tayse. "Wha-" I started but the worker came out of the store and came running at us. So before I could think I started running along with the group. I was not about to get in trouble for something I didn't do.

We continue to run until the store is out of view. That was too close for comfort. With the hat still on Tayse's head he starts to prance around. And the air is filled with 'werks' and 'get it's.' I also add to the chaos but whistling. "Okay, it was great to hang out with you guys but I got to go to work," Gio said, letting go of my hand which I didn't realize was still in mine. "Diddo," Tayse spoke while taking the hat off his head and putting it in his bag. "I'm going with Tayse," Annie said lazily. "I have to meet a friend for lunch, I will see you guys later." Kai starts walking down the street as everyone goes their separate ways. Once again I am alone. What should I do? I have nothing to do now. With everything that is going on in my mind the thoughts of NYU and my scholarship keep popping up. What if they didn't send the papers yet. After what happened yesterday I don't think they ever will. The only way to find out is to walk to the giant college. Which happens to be quite close to me right now. Time to start on my mini adventure.

I get to the building where the head of scholarships is and walk in. I find his office and knock quietly. I am given a muffled 'come in' in response. I walk into the tall man's office and sit. "Hello, I am Mr. Caldwell, I am the head of scholarships. What did you need today?" The man asks, sitting down in his chair. "I need to check my scholarship to see if the papers got sent in yet and if it is still intact." He nods and asks my name and high school. "Danny Bryson, Morris High." I replied. He nods once again and opens his filing cabinet and pulls out the minnala folder, then opens it.

"Well I'm sorry but your scholarship just isn't here" The head of scholarships speaks to me with a cordial tone. "What do you mean it's not here. I have all the requirements for the scholarship I was rewarded with." The frustration in me kept growing. "Well you need to finish highschool first and right now you are not enrolled." Great, not only did my parents not send my papers, they also took me out of my high school. "Hey, we offer a program where you can finish high school. You come in three nights a week and you will graduate in time for registration and you will go to NYU this fall, scholarship intact, and a guaranteed place to stay." He finished and it felt like all hope wasn't lost yet. "Can you sign me up for that please?" I ask and am given a nod back. "That you sir." I get up and head out of his office. Okay I got this, all I need to do is go to this night-school thing and get my parents to send my papers. That was going to be more of a challenge.

I walk out of the school not fully defeated but still scared. I need to find the closest payphone, and now. I know it was going to be a long shot but a risk I was willing to take. I need to call my parents. I am not going to throw away all I have worked for. Not now. I was too far in to waste it all now. I am not throwing away my shot.

I find the closest pay phone and put a nickel in the slot. I dial the house number and it starts ringing. "Mindy Bryson, who is this?" It's my mom. I couldn't speak. "Who is this?" She asks once more. "M-Mom, it's Danny. Hey I really need you to send in my scholarship please." I heard a slight breath come from the other side of the phone. "Mom?" I ask once more. "The only reason I am going to do this is because I don't want you to be miserable. When does it need to be turned in?" she spoke quieter, I guess not to let my dad hear. I sigh with relief. My mom was willing to help me. That's all that mattered. She didn't have to see me, all she needed to do was send the papers to NYU. "Just send them as soon as you can please." I answered her question. "Thank you so much mom." I speak once more. "You are welcome." She hangs up with the last sentence. I just hope she follows through with her word.

I head back down to Christopher Street with my head held just slightly higher. I knew that it wasn't all butterflies and rainbows, I was still homeless technically but that's besides the point. I kind of just want to find Gio to tell him the news. Then I remember he was at work. Nevermind. I make my way into the closest coffee shop and order a straight black cup. The sun was setting at this point and I was ordering coffee but I didn't really care. Then an idea comes up, I need a job. "Hey, I don't suppose you are hiring?" I asked the waiter. He was a tall man with dark skin. His badge said Toni. "Do you have any experience in working with an espresso machine?" He asks not to be phased. "No." I reply quietly. Then something catches the corner of my eye. I see Gio outside on the sidewalk. I turned to face the window and sure enough it was him. I immediately jump out of my seat and head for the door. "Hey Gio!" I shout at him. But I was too late, he already got into a car and was headed down the street. I see a taxi and I sprint to it. Getting in the car I say, "follow that car please." The driver nods and starts pushing on the gas.

Make sure to vote and comment- Blu