Part Twelve

Recap:

When he turned away, he smiled. "Prisoner #165129-009! You have been proven quilty of all charges! You are sentenced to death!" Cecil backed away and the man was instantly killed.

That's when it happened.

The main doors opened. They never open during Trails. It was Markus.

"My Lord! She is awakening!"

~            ~            ~            ~            ~

Amir's POV

She's...Finally...

"Gentlemen...might I excuse myself?" I was ready to burst out of the room, but I wouldn't dare.

"Of course, Lord Amir. We'll...be there shortly..." Cecil said kindly.

"Thank you. Gentlemen." It was all I could do to keep from running at full speed to her room. Which is exactly what I did once we rounded the corner and we were out of sight of them.

"Is she already awake, or is she just waking up?!"

"Just waking up! And I believe that Kay is awakening as well."

I was ecstatic. The birth of a Trueblood, the awakening of their child!

Shit!

They would be here soon. As they have said. How would we explain Kay? She was not supposed to change. We have to give them the reason, before they see her! "Markus."

"I know. I'll tell them. Hurry!" He stopped and I ran on. I would soon be in her room. Hopefully she would not already be awake when I got there.

All of the things we went through, the times of the Great War, the many deaths she'd seen, everything. She would remember it all.

During the War...

Hell.

**FLASHBACK**

"Schuyler! Come on! Let's go to the library!"

"Okay!" Her childish voice and her happy smile answered back.

Little Schuyler loved to look at the words she could not yet read. I didn't blame her. They would put her into a trance whenever I read to her. Even if it was the English Dictionary.

We had not always lived in Russia--where we were now. We had lived in England, but we had to move from there. My parents weren't aging, even though I was. So we moved and went to France. For the same reasons we had to move. It was the same in all the places we'd lived. England, France, Austria-Hungary, Germany, Belgium, Italy, Spain...all of them. We'd even lived in China, though for a very short time. The Chinese were very...superstitious, and we could not get away from it. So finally, we just came to Russia, where we have lived the longest. Though the Russians are not very kind, my parents intimidate them enough. Sp they left us alone, in this large mansion in the middle of the forest. All it did was snow. But we enjoyed that enough.

She would often fall asleep on my lap, and I wouldn't want to disturb her, so I'd fall asleep too.

"Ami, are you okay?" She called me 'Ami' because she couldn't pronounce 'Amir'.

"Yes, I am. I'm just thinking."

"About what? What is there to think about when you never go out, and all you do is watch the house grow old?"

"Well, there's the snow."

"The snow?"

"Yes. The snow. Each year it gets whiter and whiter, don't you think?" I looked at her face and it seemed awe strucked, as always.