02: healing the unwounded

Darling Nancy

The first thing you noticed is the comma that is missing after your name. I can feel your politely chastising me in my soul and you should know, I am indeed smiling while writing this.

I apologise for the casual irritancy I grace you with, but, my beautiful Nancy, the missing comma is symbolic of our love.

The problem is, you came far too early. You were a premature sunrise while I was still stuck on the wonders of the evening.

You saved me from the boys that played with me and introduced me to a world I'm still amazed by, but I was not damaged enough to be seen by a medical professional.

And that's what you were, Spider.

My heart at that point was a twisted ankle and you treated it as if it were cancer.

And I was far too overdosed on the pills you fed me to notice the fact that you were the one that truly needed saving.

You tried to teach me to draw when I could not yet see, to protect me from following the breadcrumbs you had left for me during the nights I spent in your arms.

And Nancy, do you remember the first time you introduced yourself to me? I laughed at your name because it was the most hideous thing I'd ever heard.

It still is.

But I loved you.

And my hands sometimes imitate the shape of your breasts.

I'm sorry we woke up on different ends of the bed, our backs always facing away from each other.

Maybe noticing that earlier could've saved us both.