Seven

𝕱eeling like his luck was just about to run out, Paul returned soaking wet to the orphanage. So far, today at least, he had survived the ocean, another lesson where Grace almost caught him lurking outside the door taking notes, and almost being skewered by one of the children's feet (Paul thought it was John's because no one else could shapeshift into a frightfully friendly stingray).

         Paul said goodbye to Latter and the children and went as fast as his frigid legs could take him, up the stairs, and into the orphanage guest room.

         Today I almost died three times.

         Paul decided to take a nap.

         𝕻aul was running after Runcorn, choking on smoke and ash.

         "Wait!" Paul yelled. "Where are you going? Why are you running away from the orphanage? This was your job!"

         Runcorn stopped dead. So did Paul.

         "You're not real," said Runcorn, not turning to face Paul. "Your back home with mom,"

         "No, I'm not," said Paul. "I'm right here. I'm at the orphanage."

         This time Runcorn turned. Just as the fire burst through Paul's chest. It did not hurt, or do any damage. But when it reached Runcorn, it did what it did not do to Paul. It burned.

         Paul gasped awake, wondering if he was still alive. But here he was, lying in his bed, in the orphanage. There was no fire, no smoke and ash. There was no Runcorn. There were no blood seeking orphans (phew). 

         𝕻aul had no idea how he was going to get this job done. No clue. Whenever he thought about trying to get his job started, his mind went blank and the only thing he managed to think up was don't die, and get back home to mom.

         "𝕬re you leaving soon?"

         Paul turned to see Latter standing behind him.

         "I don't know," said Paul, turning away. He was standing on the edge of the orphanage's property, looking out at the sea. "To be honest I haven't even started."

         "It's been a month,"

         Paul heard Latter step forward.

         "Start or leave."

         Paul turned around.

         "Then make it easy,"

         Paul walked away, back toward the orphanage. He still didn't know what to do. Anthony had been right, it had been a month. Does mom think I'm dead? Did work tell her I'm gone? Paul pushed the thought out of his mind. I'm getting this job done.

         But are you?

         Paul didn't stop 'till he reached his room. What did Runcorn do? The sun was setting outside. Its pink and purple light was speckled with red and casting itself onto the reflecting surface of the ocean. Latter was still standing outside, right where Paul had left him. What was he thinking? What was he going to do? Start or leave.

         Paul stepped away from the window, fingers curled. I am going to finish, he thought, but first, I have to start. His clenched fingers softened. I have to start. That didn't sound too hard.

         Ha.

         𝕻aul had it. He needed the children. Well, that part was obvious but hey, the children were important. But, getting to the children was going to be hard, Latter would make sure of that. But Paul wouldn't stop trying.

         "No, absolutely not."

         Latter shook his head, arms crossed.

         "Please," pleaded Paul. "If you want me to leave, just let me talk to the children."

         Latter sighed, and glanced out the window. The children were currently outside, bathing in the brilliant noon sun. Paul watched him closely, waiting for an answer. A minute passed. Then another, then another.

         "Well?" said Paul, finally breaking the silence. "Have you made your decision?"

         Latter turned back to him.

         "Yes."

         "Well?"

         Latter didn't talk for a moment, he seemed to be mulling over his response. Paul took a deep breath, not taking his gaze away from the man in front of him. He could wait. But for how much longer, he did not know.

         "Fine." Latter said, unfolding his arms. "You can talk to the children. But I must be right outside the door."

         Paul nodded.

         "Okay."

         Finally, Paul was getting somewhere. He was going home.