Ten

"𝖂hen are we going back to the orphanage?"

         Archie had just walked up to Latter. It had been a couple days since Paul had woken up and the children tended to stay clear of him since his first conversation with A.B. Latter. Did they think Paul was crazy for seeing Runcorn? Did they think he was hallucinating?

         "Not yet," Latter told Archie.

         "Will we ever go back?" Jackie asked. "It doesn't seem like you want to go near the orphanage again!"

         "Yeah!" Peggy butted in. "You seemed really eager to get away from it!"

         "It collapsed," Matt reminded her. "I don't think he even wanted you to get crushed by tons of wall."

         Peggy scowled at him.

         "Let's stop arguing," said Latter.

         "Yeah, great idea," Jackie said sarcastically.      

         "𝕴'm ready," said Paul.

         "For what?" asked Latter, looking over at him.

         "To go back home," said Paul.

         "Why?" Latter asked, stepping forward.

         "Isn't it obvious?" Paul said. "My job is done here."

         Latter sighed through his nostrils and looked down.

         "What is your verdict?" he asked. "What are you going to tell Hermes?"

         "The children will not destroy the world," Paul said, smiling sadly. "If they try, they have the others to stop them. They have you."

         Latter looked up.

         "I will take you to where you need to go," he said, his voice turning melancholily.

         Paul nodded.

         "Thank you Anthony."

         "𝕴s this it?" Paul asked.

         "This is where Runcorn left." said Latter.

         Paul nodded and sighed.

         "I'm sorry about the orphanage." Paul said, looking in the direction of the collapsed building.

         "We can rebuild it." said Latter, following Paul's gaze. "Are you sure about this? Going home?"

         "Yes," said Paul. "I'm sure."

         He turned his head towards the ocean.

         "I'm sure."

         Something sparked in front of him. The air sparked again, then again, then again. After the third flash of light, an oval, just an inch taller than Paul formed in front of him. Paul could see the outside of work, its decimated walls that had grown so dreadfully familiar to Paul over the months he had spent working there. Paul put his foot through it and looked back at Latter.

         "You never told me your middle name," said Paul. "Can you tell me now?"

         Latter grinned.

         "My middle name is Benjamin, after my father," said Latter.

         "Anthony Benjamin Latter," said Paul with a smile.

         Latter laughed.

         "It's quite a mouthful if you ask me," he said. "Go. If you stay here any longer I might drag you back by your hair."

         It was Paul's turn to laugh.

         "Alright, alright," he said. "Goodbye Anthony. It was nice meeting you."

         "It was nice meeting you too Paul," Anthony said.

         Paul turned towards the oval in the sky and leaned toward it, lifting up his foot still on Latter's side. A hand grabbed his arm.

         "Really Anthony?" Paul didn't look back. "I'm going, no need to bring me back."

         "I'm not Anthony."

         The familiar voice stopped Paul in his tracks, one foot still lifted in the air.

         "Anthony..." said Paul. "What haven't you been telling me?"

         "A lot of things," said Latter's sheepish voice. "Sorry Paul."

         Paul swallowed. The grip on his arm didn't leave.

         "Don't go back," The familiar voice behind Paul said.

         "I have to," Paul still didn't turn around. He was scared at what he would see. "The only person I have left is there, I can't leave her."

         Paul's voice broke.

         "Not after them."

         The grip on Paul's arm slackened and Paul tore his arm free. He put his remaining foot through the oval to his home.

         "Paul, no!"

         A voice in the back of Paul's head was yelling, turn back, turn around while you still have the chance!

         "Paul, please," it was Latter. "Just turn around."

         Paul gave in. He turned around and saw who had grabbed his arm just as the oval began to close.

         "Runcorn?"

         The oval closed, sparking out of existence. Paul hurried forward to the spot where it had been. But it was gone.

         "Runcorn?" Paul repeated quietly, eyes scanning the ruins before him. "You there?"