Eleven ~ a very short end

"𝖂hat is your verdict, Paul?"

         Paul was standing in front of high command.

         "The children are safe," Paul did his best to keep his voice calm. "They won't end the world,"

         "Good," said the man who had spoken first when Paul arrived. "You have done well, Paul. Much better than Runcorn."

         Paul tried to swallow the lump in his throat.

         "You may go,"

         Paul obeyed, walking out of the decimated door frame towards home. I can't wait to see mom. Paul thought, shivering in the night cold. I'll bring her to the orphanage. I'll bring her to Runcorn. Paul smiled. Runcorn is alive.

         "PAUL!"

         Paul's mother threw her arms around Paul, squeezing him so tight he thought his bones would break.

         "You're alive!" she cried, tears beginning to spill down her face.

         "Mom," said Paul, grabbing her shoulders. "Get your things and come with me, it's important."

         Paul's mother looked confused but nodded.

         "Go!"

         She hurried off. Panic started to fill Paul. What if this didn't work? What if Latter wasn't able to bring him back? What if he didn't hear Paul calling him. Paul's mother appeared at his side.

         "I'm ready," she said. "Where are we going?"

         "You'll see," said Paul. "You'll love it, trust me."

         And with that, he took his mother's hand and led her out the door, leaving his home behind forever. 

         "𝕷atter!" Paul yelled. "Open the portal up!"

         "Who are you yelling for?" his mother asked. "Who's Latter?"

         Paul didn't answer, but called his friend's name again.

         "LATTER! IT'S ME! PAUL! OPEN THE PORTAL!"

         The air sparked, once, twice, three times. Yes, Paul thought, he heard me, Anthony heard me. The oval formed, showing the ocean stretching out to the horizon. Paul's mother gasped. Paul stepped through the portal, eyes fixed on the man before him.

         "It's good to see you big brother," he said. "Look who I brought with me,"

         "You better not be leaving," the familiar voice said.

         "Trust me, I won't be," Paul grinned.

         "Good," said Runcorn. "I've been waiting ages to see you."

𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕰𝖓𝖉