6

“Thanks, man. I appreciate it.”

  “Sure thing. Just text me the license plate number and location, and leave the keys under the floor mat if your friend is okay with that.”

  “Sounds good. Thanks again.”

  “No problem.”

  I hang up after saying goodbye and rehash the conversation to Chloe who keeps nodding.

  I press the message button on my uncle’s contact and lift my gaze to meet Chloe’s. “What’s your license plate number?”

  “8CAN386.” She looks away from me.

  My hands halt mid-type. CAN for Chloe and Noah. “You still have your old license plate?”

  And why shouldn’t she? She didn’t move out of state, after all. But to keep her old license plate, our license plate.

  She nods and chews on her bottom lip. I’m positive she’s out to kill me. That’s the only reason that makes sense.

  After sending the text message to my uncle, I try to find my inner Zen. The same one I’ve worked on for over a decade and usually isn’t a problem for me to slip into. When I can’t get into it right away, I briefly wonder if Chloe broke it. If she broke me.

  The desire to retreat and go somewhere quiet to rethink my offer to drive her—and possibly taking it back—is at the forefront of my brain. Not even a second later, my manners kick in though and I sigh, “Let’s get you home.”

  “Uh what?” I walk around her to the sliding doors, looking over my shoulder to make sure she’s following.

  Of course, she’s not.

  Placing my hands on my hips, I let out a loud breath, speaking slowly. “Obviously, I’m going to drive you home. Unless you’d rather try to get an Uber on a Friday night?”

  “But why?”

  She’s staring at me like I’ve grown a third eye.

  I let my hands drop to my thighs. Loudly. “Because I’m not an asshole?”

  It comes out more as a question, even though it shouldn’t have. It’s clear that I’m trying to be a stellar citizen—and just a straight-up stellar person—by doing the right thing.

  Naturally, she has to make even that more difficult.

  “But you don’t even like me.” This time, her voice has less bite, and I feel like massaging my temples. Now I know what my coach felt like earlier.

  I take a step in her direction and bend my head to be on eye level with her, ignoring all the memories that want to haunt me when I get a good glimpse of her eyes. “I don’t have to like you to be a decent person. Are you coming now, or what? I’m not going to beg you.”

  With that, I turn and make my way through the sliding doors and out into the cold rain. Thankfully, it has calmed down and there is only light drizzle now.

  This time, she follows, and I gesture for her to lead the way to her car. We walk quietly until I spot our destination and stop dead in my tracks. “You’re kidding me, right?”

  Chloe lets out a little snort and goes straight for the silver Honda that’s parked a few feet in front of us. “Nope. She’s still alive.”

  I shake my head as I watch her grab a few things out of the trunk, wiggling her ass in the process. I contain the groan that wants to escape, and of course, I’m totally not staring at it. Nope.