Settling in Solitude

Zayne in accordance with the book he read shouldn't have been at the Marquesses estate. His presence shouldn't have been on the imaginary stage that was the plot but Lillian didn't need to know that, no one did. Right now Lillian was at what the South Knights considered their stronghold, a tavern-like inn, for its homely atmosphere. She would be getting cared for fussily if not overly friendly, so Zayne didn't need to worry too much. She wouldn't meet any more violence just a few altercations.

Zayne passively observed the attire he was wearing, still hesitant to walk or for his feet to meet the floor. He was wearing a thinly clothed tunic and a loose hose, the cloth felt itchy on his skin but was breathable. As he made to stand up he could feel the coldness of the floor on the soles of his feet. The two windows were draped so that the sunlight could come in, as he looked around again he had been made aware of the minimalist quality. There was no couch but a wooden desk of sorts with a cushioned chair. Most of the bedroom floor was covered by a decorative carpet seeming to reach under his bed. As he walked slowly at first into the open space between the bed's foot and desk, he pondered about Lillian and the Marquess's perspective some more.

He had time to ruminate about Lillian when he was in the carriage but seeing as he would get too emotional he decided to think about other aspects of the difficulties he may face. Thankfully earlier while the doctor was checking him over he had time to recollect his thoughts about Lillian. He suspected his personality in her mind was already set based on the notion the books she read gave her. If Lillian is playing as a maid then Zayne is her master and they should be familiar with each other, which was proving difficult for both sides to express in order to hide whatever motives they have.  

When Zayne made effort to be aware of the people around him in his attempts to get some context on his situation, the change in person was recognized within a day but regretfully he avoided Lillian on and off for a whole 4 months after. The realization triggered another onset of depression and specific knowledge of a book. He was in a midst of an observation frenzy and had during that time occasionally gone back and forth between the library and his mother. His household at the time was happy about the change in behavior, his attentiveness was positively received but he still had been giving them whiplash with his mood swings. Throughout all of this, Lillian to Zayne was a mixture of a who and it and he had ruined his first impression.

"A dead person walking," he murmured as he looked down feeling the texture of the carpet.

He put pressure on his feet observing the abrash red outline. His attention was drawn to his right, the door smoothly opening. It was Simone, this time followed by a group of other maids. Two of them seemed to be carrying a full-length mirror. Zayne was drawn to Simone's face which was in a constant state of placidness, Zayne was starting to admire that quality, he wanted that for himself. He stood awkwardly in the space watching them come in.

"Simone, how is the search party?" he inquired, his voice wasn't the harshest so he came off meek given his current height and position.

"They have already set out, they are currently being sent to the site where you were found," her answer seemed convincing but he couldn't help but mentally admonish. They should've done that a long time ago to check for other survivors besides himself.

He slightly furrowed his brows at the lie before fixing them back. He knew that the South Knights were having a dispute with the Marquess, which was under wraps if both sides didn't want their reputation ruined more than they already thought it to be. It was something that seemed nonsensical to Zayne, the knights felt replaced by the mercenaries and weren't feeling so loyal to the new leadership of the fiefdom.

"I hope they find Lillian soon," he added as the rustle of cloth and clatter of maids and supplies were being moved into the room.

He was hoping that she would be here by tomorrow. If any of this were to be proper they should've already met the marquess. The good thing about any of this was that nobody knew him personally. Truthfully he was an oblivious and content kid never being outwardly curious or wanting more. This was all before his 12 birthday, his personality didn't do a 180 but he was slightly more domineering, the aspect hiding in the bouts of his revelations.