Chapter 9

Andrielles eyes widened for a second at the sudden appearance of the Lord Marquess, before a voice caught his attention from the other side of the table he stood at.

"What are you doing here?" One of the five Knights clamored at a stand with a harsh tone of defense and alertness. The Knight was followed similarly by another in stance.

The Marquess imperceptibly sighed through his nose giving a dull look at the questioning knight.

"Is it not my right to walk in my fief?" He tilted his head and scanned the room with a slight shift of his eyes.

"We do not serve you here!" The knight behind the first speaking knight roared, interrupting The Marquess's action and getting a few nods of agreement in turn.

The Marquess finally moved his full attention to the group of 6 knights, knowing that they were the spokespeople for the whole Knightage. "Your loyalty hardly matters, The only heir of the Clement Dukedom is late to arrive, a clear sign of your faults."

At the statement, a few knights including Andrielle felt their napes shiver at the implication and sure consequences. Andrielle haphazardly looked around; his eyes inspecting the individuals at the table he stood at until his eyes locked on Jules and Lilliana across the room. His superiors did not mention the boy was an heir to a Dukedom, it wasn't lost on him that there were only two Dukedoms not including the ArchDuke. He lightly seethed through his teeth and gave the Knight commanders at the table a glare before following The Marquess's gaze. The Marquess was looking directly at Lillian, the eye contact was paralyzing.  Lillian tried to suppress her shudder. He couldn't have known she was a maid that served Zayne. Feeling self-assured she maintained eye contact. He finally looked away returning his attention to the fools. 

"Search the roads, this is not a chance to redeem yourself," his voice was heavy and dark.

The tall raven-headed man thought he was being too lenient with the reminder. He swiftly left through the tavern doors, leaving an impression in all their thudding hearts. The knights watched his long silhouette blend into the night. when the doors clattered shut, Braxton let out an obnoxious exhale breaking the cricket silence of the place. 

"I'm glad he's gone" he sounded sickly but was quickly ignored. 

"Do you not know how dire this is? How could you keep this information away from us," Andrielles voice raised for everyone to hear as he spoke for them. 

The Knight commander who had stood leered his head, "That pale man has his mercs, why would he need us? we'd be fools to listen to his commands."

A few knights at the table nodded their heads. 

Andrielle shook his head in dismay biting on his words, he put a hand on the hilt of his sword and walked back towards the bar. He had a few words with Atticus who seemed constipated. 

"That young maiden serves The Young lord of the Clement dukedom," his voice was a low whisper as his gaze turned stern and Atticus gained a discernment. "I'll need you to get a key for the maiden, please." Andrielle did not forget his manners before striding past Jules and Lillian. 

"Let's go," his brows were angled in focus, and his voice was soft but fast. 

Jules was confused and hesitated to leave before glancing at Lillian and rushing after Andrielle through the entrance. Soon after, Braxton swayed to a stand recovering his balance, and left the Tavern with a sluggishness. Lillian had watched all this without stopping anyone and now she was alone. While some knights returned to talking she turned back to the bar and felt for a pouch under her skirt prepared to pay for a room. 

"Here," Atticus's hand appeared in front of her on the bar with a light clang and left just as quickly leaving behind a rusted color key. 

He reached for a rag under the bar as she stared at the off-colored key. For a moment she was dumbfounded. 

"What's this for?" She clumsily asked watching him clean a cup. 

Atticus raised a judgemental brow, "To open rooms." 

He then left her space with a look of slight distaste. Lilian watched him walk away with a slow turn of her head questioning what had just happened. She felt the key under her hand with its sand-papery grooves and bumps. The cold brass reminded her it was well-shaped for where she was. 

Some knights had already left and followed after Andrielle's lead so it was a surprise when she was approached again for the 5th time today. At first, she had simply thought the older man was going to leave too but it was clear he was walking in her direction. Lillian realized he was one of the men at the table Andrielle had talked to. 

"May I request your name, young maiden?" He had an air of arrogance.

"Lillian," caught off guard, her reply was instant.

His gaze locked onto her hand on the bar and Lillian pulled it closer to her person. He noticed this and looked at her face, observing her for a short second.

"As knights of Taya, we'll make sure to defend you," there was something in his eyes like he was sharing in on a secret.

Lillian bit on her lower lip and turned away from him, the small talk done. He didn't seem offended by her actions. Lillian heard him walk away, but she felt eyes on her for the rest of the night when she was in the bar. It wasn't just one pair of eyes though.

She squeezed the key in her hand before looking at it more. There was a number on it. The ravenette took a good look around the place for the first time. The tavern was well-furnished, in fact, every color of brown lit by soft orange had a lively quality to it. Except, It was not as loud as it was before the Marquess came. 

Lillian found her room upstairs and planned on leaving the next day. She was heavy with paranoia and anticipation. Zayne would be 13 soon and based on his age she had three years before Adriana would visit. Lillian imagined what it would be like to meet the heroine for the first time but she wouldn't make it a priority. She had to figure out a way to get back home.

Ariana's Beautiful Fate  18++, the book she had read, took place in a span of 7 years. She couldn't wait that long. So far, if Lillian was correct, Ariana hadn't even met half the cast yet, which included the Lord of the magician's tower. It wasn't like Lillian didn't try to change positions when serving in the Clement Dukedom but whenever she had the opportunity to, something would always get in the way. Her resignation letter would get wet, trampled on, ripped, or lost. The closest she had to leaving was when someone said they would recommend her to another estate but that was it.

The wooden door closed behind her and the cooling sensations of the metal door knob eventually left her hand. She leaned back against the door and sighed.  Her long servant's attire was battered at the end of the skirt and her hair frayed around her face. Lillian was thankful that her hair was tied up tight. Her feet ached. Seeing the bed she quickly pattered her steps and slumped onto it with her whole body. A tear left her eye and passed the bridge of her nose down onto her cheek and into the bedding to be soaked up.  She sighed again. 

---

a/n - Quick write, I feel the dialogue could be better. I raw dwaged this because i didn't write this on docs but on wattpad. I had to rewrite the majority of this chapter because ch 9-10 did not make sense to the time line. I had really loved the chapters, too bad. eh. this chapter was going to be soo funny, we had braxton yapping.